HART and PETCO Saving Dogs One Adoption at a Time

You’ve mastered the skill of being superhero, mom and dad, but you’re not sure what to do next. How about save the life of some amazing furry little friends?  Each month PETCO stores around the nation hold an adoption event. The organization partners with the local animal shelters to help each animal find a loving, safe home.  

Homeless Animal Rescue Team (HART) of Utah is a nonprofit organization run by volunteers that helps foster dogs to save them from kill shelters. This organization sponsors adoptions at PETCO at least monthly, and occasionally more often. The dogs are not kept at a facility but are kept at homes of the volunteers. HART of Utah is always looking for volunteers and donations to help out.  

Cathy Freitas, HART volunteer, has been helping save dogs for about four years.  “We need volunteers, we need foster homes, and we can’t do what we do without those two things. Without donations we can’t help the dogs that we need to help.”

Many animals have been left abandoned on the streets or have even been harmed by their owners. Fortunately, this monthly event helps save thousands of lives each year.

If you’re considering adding a new member to the family, officials strongly suggest you adopt one rather than purchase one. PETCO can also help you find the perfect pet to fit your lifestyle if you’re not sure which animal is right for you. The in-store event allows you to spend time getting to know the animal before just taking it home.    

Susan Barrett, Volunteer at the Hurricane Animal Shelter, shows her passion for animals by hosting her weekly cat adoption. Every weekend Barrett sets up at PETCO to help give cats to loving homes. “The most important thing is if we don’t get our pets spayed and neutered, it’s useless. Spaying and neutering is the bottom line to all these problems. I encourage everybody,” she said. The warm and friendly environment is always welcoming new friends.

PETCO is also one of the only places in town where you’re allowed to bring any pet inside, no matter if it is a dog, a bird, or even a lizard. So even if a dog isn’t your forte, come check out all of the other animals needing to find homes.  

The Washington location, located on Telegraph Street next to the Home Depot, is the only PETCO around the Dixie area. The next adoption event is being held on December 3rd and 4th. Make sure to mark your calendars.  If you are interested in volunteering for HART, visit
Hartofutah.org.