First university blood drive set for April 1

Dixie State University is having its first blood drive as a university on April 1. 

It is also the first blood drive on campus in more than two years. Marc Anderson, a senior biology major from St. George, said the Dixie Serves club has teamed up with the Red Cross to put together this drive to get rid of a blood shortage in southern Utah.

“Every year there seems to be a shortage of blood in the springtime,” Anderson said. “It makes more sense just to take care of it now, especially when we have a campus full of healthy people.”

Anderson said everyone could make a difference by coming and participating.

“Maybe I will make a difference just by setting this up,” Anderson said. “The real difference is participation from students. Every drop of blood will save a life.”

Scott Brown works for the American Red Cross and sets up blood drives for the southern region of Utah. 

Brown and Anderson both agree that something needs to be done about the infrequent nature of blood drives on campus.

“I work with schools all over the state, but most schools have blood drives at least once a semester,” Brown said. “I really hope students take advantage of donating. It takes less than a half-hour, which makes it a quick act of kindness.”

The campus blood drive takes place on April 1 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Gardner Student Center room B.   

To sign up, contact Marc Anderson at 435-414-5132.