Freshman Friday prepped students for school year

Chanting of the school fight song filled the Burns Arena when the freshman class was welcomed to Dixie State University.

Dixie’s annual Freshman Friday was held on Aug. 16. Excitement was in the air as promotional videos were played and the traditional fight song was taught. The new students were treated to an opening presentation, a free lunch, business expo and a slip n’ slide later that evening.

Many freshmen said they chose DSU because of the welcoming and fun atmosphere of the university.

“You can tell the university works hard to make everyone feel welcome here,” said Devyn Bogh, a freshman undeclared major from American Fork. “Today has been so much fun, and I know it can only get better.”

Bogh is not the only newcomer who feels that way.

“The campus is a fun place,” said McKell Quilter, a freshman, education major from Hurricane. “I can’t wait to live the Dixie life.”

While students are excited for the fun activities the school has to offer, President Stephen Nadauld made sure the new students understood their No. 1 job is to be good students.

“The most important activity you will participate in is school,” Nadauld said. “Come in with the mindset of ‘I am going to be a university student.'”

The chance for incoming students to become these “university students” has brought students to campus.

“University status demonstrates the dedication and improvement in every aspect at Dixie State,” said Jordon Sharp, director of student involvement and leadership. “Students want to be a part of it.”

While university status did influence some students to come, the No.1 reason is family tradition. Whether it was parents or siblings, many freshmen had ties to Dixie and said it was an easy decision.

Gus Snell, a freshman undeclared major from Spanish Fork, said: “My whole family has come to Dixie. We visited when I was younger a lot, so it is almost like my second home.”

When Kaylee Whiteley, a freshman nursing major from Lindon, heard about the fun and good experience her two older siblings had while attending Dixie, she couldn’t wait to be a part of it.

“They loved it here, and I like St. George,” Whiteley said. “It was just a natural choice for me.”