New clubs available on campus

New clubs on campus, from Chemistry club to “Minecraft” club, give students a variety of choices of clubs to participate in this year.

Brandon Lewis, a senior business major from Coalville and the vice president of clubs, said there are numerous prospective clubs that would be, if they follow the process correctly, official incouple of weeks.

“A few prospective clubs are the- Astronomy club, Chemistry club, Fantasy club, ‘Minecraft’ club, want to get chartered in; that’s the last step they have to do before they come before us,” Lewis said. “Once they get the Orgsync created, I check it out.”

Two new clubs that have been approved are the Spanish club, and the Dixie Sticker and Design club.

Jeremy Garcia, a sophomore graphic design major from St. George and the president of the Dixie Sticker and the Design club, said the club is a place for people who want to learn about graphic design and practice these skills.

“We will give people a chance to learn how to do graphic design properly, use a vinyl cutter and hopefully some screen printing in the future,” said Garcia.
“It will give people a chance to gain some real-life experience in design to print/cut and also provide a group where best practices can be learned.”

Kyle Rarick, a senior Spanish major from Princeton, Minn., and the president of the Spanish club, said the club is oriented around people studying Spanish and to others who are interested.

“This club is designed to help those students who are majoring or minoring in Spanish at Dixie State University to develop strong, long lasting relationships within the Spanish program as well as to continue to attain knowledge of the language and refine skills already acquired, “said Rarick. “But we also hope that the Spanish club can grow and help reach out to the Latino community here in St. George.”

Aimee Newsham, a senior biology major from Preston, Idaho, and president of the Chemistry club said the Chemistry club is for students who are interested in chemistry and the opportunities in the chemistry field.

“My goal for the club is to do just that-help the students get the most out of the club,” Newsham said. “I want to provide more information on undergraduate research opportunities, as it has greatly enhanced my college experience personally, as well as occupational options, etc.” 

Josh Higgins, a freshman computer science major from Ogden, and the president of the “Minecraft” club, said he wanted a place where students can be connected through the game.

“The mission statement for the ‘Minecraft’ club is to create school wide unity through the games ability,”Higgins said. 

Last year’s Making Healthy Choices club has now been reinvented into the Health and Wellness club.

Lauren Randall, a junior biology major from Upland, Calif., and president of the Health and Wellness club, said the club has numerous activities planned for this year.

“We want to start an annual contest called the Red Storm Warrior, in which you compete through an obstacle course,” Randall said. “We also will be doing service projects, hiking trips in Zion, and getting everyone in the club CPR certified, as well as the Bacchus Network Peer Educator certification.”

Lewis said he feels optimistic about the clubs this year and looks forward to seeing how they will turn out.

“In my position, my whole thing is to see all clubs flourish,” Lewis said. “Each one brings such a different dynamic to students, and that’s the thing I love. All the club presidents are great they’re fun. If I could, if I had the time, I would join all clubs.”

If students want to create a club, here are the steps: Go to dixiestudentlife.com/clubs. Click on the link,”Looking to Start a Club?” From there, it will give instructions to start a club.

Officially, a student needs to come up with a club name and have at least 10 members, along with a full-time staff member to be an adviser. Club presidents must be taking 12 credits, and members of the club must be taking at least four. The next thing to do is to come up with a mission statement and create an Orgsync account.

After the process is completed, the student will need to come before the council during one of the Inner Club Council meetings. The students will present their club, state what they could provide for students at DSU, and their initiative. From there, the council will vote on the pending club. If it passes, the club will receive an account.

If clubs remain inactive for more than two semesters, they lose their charter and Dixie reabsorbs their funds.

In order to re-activate the club, the club members would need to go through the whole charter process again.

Dixie’s Orgsync provides information for numerous new or existing clubs.

Ballroom Dance Club: “Beginners are more than welcome! We instruct a group class for a while, then we all social dance and assist individuals. There will be some advanced dancers from the DSU Ballroom Team there as well, so you can feel what it is like to dance with a more experienced dancer. Bring your friends; it’s always a blast!”

Black Student Association: “To aid every member in a sense of camaraderie and equality; no matter ethnicity, background or spirituality to aid everyone academically. Education is most crucial, and it can be obtained with everyone’s assistance. Especially amongst minority students. Being an active member has its benefits.”

Psychology Club: “This club is designed to help students participate in service projects, school events, research projects and other events related to the area of psychology.”

Dixie Fit Club: “We meet biweekly (Mondays at 6:00pm) at the DSU fitness center to discuss fitness regimens, nutrition plans and encourage setting and achieving fitness related goals.”

Further information or more clubs at DSU can be found here.