Tech Sassy on video games: “Lego Marvel Super Heroes” quirky, animated

While the rest of the gaming world is playing “Grand Theft Auto V,” I’ll just be over here geeking out about “Lego Marvel Super Heroes.”

“Lego Marvel Super Heroes” is the latest in the Lego game saga. It features not only the Avengers, but also many other Marvel super heroes, including Spiderman and the Fantastic Four. After playing all of the Lego games in the Harry Potter and Lord of The Rings series, of course I had to play this one, as well. Plus, it’s a superhero game, which means it’s action-packed and full of twists and turns.

“Lego Marvel Super Heroes” is set up similarly to all of the other Lego games in the way that the point of the game is to complete episodes using a combination of abilities. The game gives you up to three characters on your team at a time. Each character does something different. Some use fire, others use ice and some, like Spiderman, have super-human powers.

In one episode, your team is the Hulk, Iron Man and Spiderman. Your mission is to complete tasks and defeat the Sandman, who has taken over Grand Central Station. Different characters can only interact with certain items, which give the game a puzzle-solving element. There are times when you have to lift things like cars and trains as the Hulk and other times where you have to blow up silver Legos as Iron Man.

“Lego Marvel Super Heroes” has the same graphics as the previous games, just slightly upgraded. There isn’t much that can be done to change the graphics considering the game is built of Legos and because of the blocky quality. However, the picture is a little bit clearer and slightly less pixilated than other Lego games’ graphics. There is also more movement around the environment than the previous games, which is something I always look for in a new game.

The controls on “Lego Marvel Super Heroes” vary in difficulty from character to character. Characters like the Hulk are easy to control with simple button combinations for moves to smash, grab and throw items. Others, like Iron Man, are a little more difficult, and in the time I spent playing, I couldn’t figure out any button combination to go from flying to grounded.

“Lego Marvel Super Heroes” is overall an easy game to play, but that doesn’t make it boring by any account. With the long list of characters you can play and the miniature missions included in the game, there is an endless list of possibilities that can keep you playing for weeks.

Even as someone who normally enjoys high-end graphics and complicated storylines, I had a blast with this game and all of its nuances and its fun atmosphere. 

Is there a game you want me to review? Tweet your recommendations to @Techsass.