DSU women’s basketball on 4-game streak

The Dixie State University women’s basketball team finished off its six-game home stand Saturday.

The women won the last four of six games.

Chaminade University

Dixie State capped off its sixth home game in a row with its fourth straight win, beating the Chaminade University Silverswords 73-68 Saturday night.

The team improved to 12-11 overall as it heads into its final stretch with only three more games left in the regular season.

Both teams played a strong first half and while Chaminade was able to capitalize on 3-pointers, Dixie pulled ahead by taking advantage of free throws and by another outstanding game by Haley Holmstead, who finished with 35 points.

However, the second half was a different game as the Red Storm started off scoring 14 points to Chaminade’s seven in the first five minutes of play.

Chaminade put together a comeback, cutting Dixie’s lead to just one point, which was the closest the two teams had been since they were tied at seven.

By the nine minute mark, DSU was down 51-53.

It wasn’t until there was 2:46 left on the clock that Dixie was able to regain its lead and take it down to the final buzzer, avoiding the consequences of a struggling second half.

“We’re just going to have to focus on our defense; we cant have the lapses that we had today,” said head coach Catherria Turner.

This was the team’s fourth straight win after beating Holy Names University, Brigham Young University-Hawaii, and University of Hawaii-Hilo earlier this week.

“I think the four games in seven days kind of wore us down a little bit, but we ended up with the [win],” Turner said.

University of Hawaii-Hilo

The Dixie State University women’s basketball team continued with its six-game home streak with a 77-54 win over University of Hawaii-Hilo Thursday night.

The win improved the team’s record to 11-11 overall, putting it at a .500 winning percentage for the first time since Jan. 6.

Senior guard Haley Holmstead led the team with 39 points, while sophomore center Taylor Mann put up a school record of 26 rebounds.

It wasn’t until Dixie was able to put together 13 unanswered points that the teams began to separate dramatically.

Holmstead put up a beautiful jump shot, breaking the team’s 43-43 tie with 11:46 left.

This led to DSU holding the Vulcans to zero points for the last 3:30 of play, putting together another outstanding run of 12 unanswered points.

The team gets a short five-day break before it heads to California to play its two final away games against Dominican University of California and the Academy of Art University before coming back to finish off the season against the California Baptist University Lancers.