Scott Brumfield resigning as DSU football head coach

Scott Brumfield is stepping down as head coach of Dixie State University’s football team. 

“This is a very emotional time for me and my family,” Brumfield said in a press release. “I have cherished my time here at [DSU]. Dixie gave me opportunities to pursue my goals and dreams, both as a player and a coach, and for that I will be forever grateful. Out of respect for our players and our program, my 100 percent focus this week will be to help us prepare to finish this season strong.” 

Athletic Director Jason Boothe announced the decision on Brumfield’s behalf Monday night. Boothe spoke highly of the contributions Brumfield made to the program over his ten-year tenure at DSU. Boothe stated the following in press release: 

“We will be forever indebted to Scott for his service to Dixie State over the past six football seasons,” Boothe said. “Scott’s true impact on this program cannot be measured by wins and losses. He took over the program six years ago when it was several years away from beginning to be funded properly to sustain long-term success. He didn’t complain or come up with excuses. He kept fighting and working his tail off in order to put the best product on the field, in the classroom, and in the community. 

“Thanks to Scott’s efforts, the next head coach will come into a program that still has some work to do to take the next step, but is now on solid ground to do so.” 

Brumfield is 14-49 during his time at DSU and has been scrutinized about his coaching in recent years, but Boothe said that has nothing to do with the coaching change. 

“He came to me a couple days ago and said he thought it was time to move on,” Boothe said. “This was purely his decision.” 

Brumfield will coach his final game this week on the road against Central Washington University Saturday. 

Booth said the search for Brumfield’s replacement will not begin or be made public until the conclusion of the season.