International travel banned in light of coronavirus

Adrian Allan, head of the Harrisburg Academy, takes notes during a COVID-19 Community Leaders Information Meeting hosted by Penn State Health on March 9, 2020. The Utah COVID-19 Community Task Force is evaluating the safety of international travel as DSU has scheduled exchange programs.

Study abroad programs are taking a turn for the worse. The Task Force has canceled all international travel through March 27 due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The task force will meet on March 13 to reevaluate the safety of DSU’s students’ international travel locations. The task force will cancel any exchange programs if it reaches level three. Japan is currently at level two.

Students are advised to watch the travel advisory for updates. A more official update will be made on the DSU coronavirus information page later today.

Update:

President Richard “Biff” Williams announced that DSU is canceling study abroad trips and sponsored international travel scheduled that take place from now until March 31st. Any DSU sponsored international trips that are scheduled to take place between April 1 and July 31 are on hold until further notice.

DSU study abroad students should be aware that if their trips can’t be rescheduled, they should contact the vendors they have purchased from to get a refund, Williams said. If reimbursement isn’t available, students should obtain documentation and work with the DSU department that booked their flight.

On the other hand, domestic university-sponsored trips are not canceled, Williams said. Regardless, DSU recommends that everyone be cautious and check the Department of State’s Travel Advisories and CDC Travel Health Notices often for current information. 

“The university will ensure travelers are reimbursed for paid travel reservations for which they are unable to obtain a refund,” Williams said.

Update:

The Pre-departure Orientation is scheduled for March 11 at 3:30 in the HCC Zion Room to answer any questions about the Coronavirus, scheduled trips and how the cancellation of trips may effect graduation plans.

As of now, the only officially canceled study abroad trip is Columbia. 

“What we want to know is beyond your flight expenses, how would this affect you if you did not receive the course credit?” Said Lauren DiSalvo, assistant professor of art history.

DSU administration is having another meeting regarding the travel statuses due to the coronavirus on Feb. 11.
update:

All study abroad trips and affiliated travel associated with Dixie State University through now to July 31st have been officially cancelled. 

The Task Force originally planned to meet March 13th, but put the meeting into place today, at the same time as the Study Abroad trip.

DSU is planning the on reimbursing all travel fees for all students.

This is an ongoing story and will be updated as more information is released.