OPINION: The world needs sports

Sports around the world have been put to a stop due to COVID-19. Parks and recreation centers have decided to take down hoops and closed courts so kids can’t play or touch anything due to the virus. Photo illustration by Breanna Biorato.

In the wake of the devastating COVID-19 virus, sports fans around the globe are left in a world without sports.

In most spring seasons, people can look forward to the competitive edge of the National Basketball Association playoffs, the craziness of March Madness and the excitement of the start of Major League Baseball.

As people of all ages are inside to practice social distancing, many have found their nightly routine of turning on sporting events for entertainment until they are ready for bed.

The average father who comes home from a 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. job Monday through Friday no longer has his golf tournaments to watch Sunday afternoons and kids can no longer watch their role models perform on the biggest stages with the brightest lights.

Without sporting events going on around the globe, there are many voids that used to be filled by sports.

The Olympics also provide a ground for the whole world to come together and cheer for their home country. Millions of viewers all around the world tune into these events in hopes for gold medals returning home with top of the line athletes; however, because of the recent events, the Olympics has been pushed back to avoid continuing the spread of the coronavirus.

Athletic events provide an opportunity for people of different backgrounds to come together and cheer for something. They can cheer for their home city, favorite athletes or even root against teams they dislike. Sports provide opportunities for children to be active and shape their lives for the better by keeping them off the streets and out of trouble. Sports also provide a location where families can be together and create memorable experiences.

“The average father who comes home from a 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. job Monday through Friday no longer has his golf tournaments to watch Sunday afternoons and kids can no longer watch their role models perform on the biggest stages with the brightest lights”

Brock Doman, DSN Staff

One of my favorite memories is attending the University of Utah football games in Salt Lake City with my grandpa since I was seven years old. Seventeen years later, we still try to attend a game every season to root on the Utes. This experience has brought me closer to my grandpa and others who can relate to the way sports can unite a family.

Will the world continue on without sports? Of course; however, will the world be the same without sports? This has yet to be determined, but I’d say the answer is no.

Some people have missed sports so much they have found a new hobby to partially fill the need for athletic competition. Thousands of people have turned to participating in the simplicity of marbles racing down a hill.

According to Sports Illustrated, since the middle of March, Jelle’s Marble Runs subscribers have increased almost 1,000% and video views are up more than 300%.

The coronavirus is impacting the sports world tremendously, and we need to do our part in order to help restore the sporting world back to the way it was.