Karl Alfred Schurter

Karl Alfred Schurter was born June 22, 1937 and raised in Glendale AZ by his native Swiss parents, Karl and Martha Schurter.

Karl was called to serve a mission to the Northern States Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Upon returning from his mission, he enlisted in the Army Reserves and was stationed at Fort Ord near Monterey CA.  There he met Donna Elaine Millett and were married in the Los Angeles Temple.  They settled in Lake Arrowhead CA, where they raised their three children.  Karl worked for Cal-Trans for 30+ years, retiring in 1998.  Donna passed away on September 29, 1999.  In January 2000, Karl met Dora Babcock Wymer and they were married on April 8, 2000 in the St. George Temple and resided in Dammeron Valley, UT.  Shortly after, Karl was diagnosed with cancer, but was blessed to survive.  Later on, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, which he succumbed to on June 5, 2011.  Karl’s wrestle with these illnesses was eased by the tireless efforts of his sweetheart and companion Dora.

Karl was a devoted member of the LDS church, a faithful worker in the St. George Temple and enjoyed service work such as donating blood and volunteering at Tuacahn.  Karl’s interests included traveling, hiking, backpacking, and working outdoors.  Karl was very strong, compassionate and loved serving others.

Karl is survived by his sisters Caroline Johnson and Lillian Allen; wife Dora; children Elaine Schurter, Karl Rodney (Natalie) Schurter, John Eduard (Haley) Schurter, Ricky D (Cinda) Wymer, Eddy Lee Wymer, James Earl (Tabitha) Wymer and John David Wymer. 

Karl is preceded in death by his parents; sisters Marion Lamb and Ann Harman; wife Donna Schurter; daughter-in-law Holly Wymer.