UPDATE: Crews Battling Lightning Caused Fires

Lightning has caused more than 10 fires since Friday night. The most visible fire from the St. George area is the Plateau Fire, located about 10 miles south of Bloomington. The fire has burned over 2,000 acres but has not threatened any structures. Resources from across the area were used to assist in keeping the fires from threatening any structures or roadways. A large California-based air tanker played a large part in the success of helping to control the Plateau Fire. 

Due to the remote locations of the blazes, aerial attack crews were the most used resource. Smoke from these fires is visible from St. George, Mesquite, Nev., and along the Virgin River. Low winds and a cool day on Saturday helped the containment effort. Crews will be monitoring the current fires as well the entire region, as thunderstorms are expected throughout Sunday night into Monday morning.  

Over 250 fire fighters are working with five helicopters, and 15 wildland fire engines to contain the several blazes. More resources are on standby and could be called in from across the state and region if needed. 

Below is a list of the largest fires, their location, and acerage estimates.

Plateau Fire, located 10 miles east of Bloomington, 2,200 acres, 10% contained. 

Scenic Fire, near Scenic, Ariz., 650 acres, 10% contained.

Middle Fire, 50 miles south of St. George, 850 acres, 70% contained. 

UPDATE: Public Information Officer Kenton Call confirms that several fires have been started by lighting from thunderstorms that came through the area. The Dixie National Forest and BLM called in aerial attacks on the fires. Crews from across the state and area are expected to be fighting the multiple fires from the ground tomorrow. The fires are currently not threatening any structures. 

“The fires are currently burning in pretty rugged terrain,” Call said. ” No firefighting action is worth compromising the safety of fire crews or the public”.

Crews are battling three lighting caused fires Friday evening on the Arizona strip. No structures are reportedly in danger. The fires have been named as follows. The Plateau Fire, assessed at 300 acres; the Sun Rock Fire, which is very small and no acreage has yet been assessed; and the Lime Kiln Fire, assessed at 120 acres.

More Information will be added to this story as it becomes available.