Southern Utah Parents: HPV Inoculation is a Parental Choice

Recent GOP debates have parents all over the nation wondering how far government is willing to go in the name of protecting the general public.

Since the beginning of the Republican primary debates, Texas Governor Rick Perry has sustained consistent criticism over the HPV vaccine mandate he implemented for his state in 2007. Perry, through executive order, mandated the vaccination of girls against the sexually transmitted disease HPV, which is known to cause cervical cancer.

Much of the criticism from his Republican counterparts suggests Perry received campaign contributions from Merck & Co. Inc, the company that manufactures the HPV vaccine Gardasil.

Southern Utah parents feel this is another classic example of government infringing on their parental rights.

“I do not feel that the government has the right to tell parents what they should be putting into their children’s bodies,” Felisa Sorenson said.

Registered nurse and mother of three daughters, Becky Doty said, “I think if your children are young school age, like nine, ten, or eleven the discussion with them as to why they are getting this vaccine is inappropriate, because it is to prevent cervical cancer as a result of a sexually transmitted disease.”

In this case doctors think parents need to be responsible for making medical decisions for their families.

Obstetrician Gynecologist Dr. Robert Chalmers said, “Although I do believe the vaccine has a positive effect on women healthcare, I still believe in that patient’s autonomy and the right to choose. So anything that mandates that from a local or state government level I would say I’m overall against.”