Class survival depends on motivation, attendance, caffeine

We’ve all had those classes that require high caffeine intake, little desire and a lot of motivation to get through.

Over the years, it seems as if Dixie State College students have learned a few tricks of the trade to get them through their most detested courses.

The first step in a successful semester perhaps is the motivation to actually get out of your comfy bed and get yourself to class like a big kid.

Becky Olsen, a junior dental hygiene major from St. George, said if she stays mindful of what it takes to attend college, then she notices her motivation to attend class increase. 

“I don’t come from a very wealthy family and have had to work hard for the things I want,” Olsen said. “I am not fresh out of high school and have had many years to really learn the value of education.” 

Taking a step back to realize the value of the education you are receiving may also help you in your quest to find motivation. 

Once the motivation to attend class has been found, the fact is you may be motivated—but you may still be in bed.

Students are finding it’s important when setting up schedules to know what classes they will and will not attend.

Sarah Harris, a sophomore general education major from Roy, said while early morning classes haven’t always been her favorite, they are quickly turning into something she loves.

“I love my early morning classes because when I am done I have the whole day to myself,” Harris said. “They also get me on a healthy sleep schedule, which I appreciate.”

Harris said she also finds it helpful to bring a little something to wake herself up and get her day started off right.

“I love bringing drinks to class, especially a vitamin-enhanced drink or coffee,” Harris said. “It gives me that extra boost.”

Professors play a major role in student involvement in class. If you can, choose a professor whom you have heard good things about or perhaps have had in the past.

Brittani Turley, a sophomore general education major from Star Valley, Wyo., finds when the professor is interesting, it makes her more interested in the class itself.

Harris said: “I think a professor can make or break a class. No matter the subject, if I have a professor who loves what they’re teaching and is enthusiastic about it, you can bet I will show up.”

Landon Peterson, a DSC Academic Adviser, said the biggest problem he sees in student success is the way they manage their time. 

“If [students] are persistent in attending every class, completing every assignment and studying effectively for every test, they’ve got a great shot at being successful,” Peterson said. 

It’s not enough to be in class without actively paying attention. Training yourself to focus for 50 minutes at a time could dramatically increase your success in class. 

“Connecting the material is also a big part of being successful,” Peterson said. “Students who want to focus more should try to connect the information to something that they already know or apply it to their situation. If you can connect the things that you’re learning to your life in some way, you’ll likely be more interested in the next class discussion.”