Women’s soccer wins 1-0 over weekend

The Dixie State College women’s soccer team took a 1-0 win against Point Loma Nazarene University Saturday.

The Red Storm won this game for multiple reasons, one of them being they out-shot the Sea Lions 16-6 throughout the entire game.

Both teams went scoreless until the 67th minute when DSC’s sophomore forward Kelsey Hansen found the back of the net. The shot was made by taking advantage of Point Loma’s goalkeeper. Hansen displayed a header over the goalkeeper’s head, chased it down and shot the ball, which was the first and final goal of the game.

Midfielder Kasia Goodman, a freshman general education major from Springville, said the team has been focused on this win.

“We’ve been working a lot on defense and conditioning and just working together as a team,” Goodman said.

Midfielder Magan Marchbanks, a freshman general education major from Springville, said the team has been focused on specific techniques to ensure the win.

“We’ve been working a lot on scoring, finishing and getting it done quick,”  Marchbanks said.

Senior goalkeeper Abby Johnson had one save at goal and earned her second consecutive shutout.

DSC had pressure on PLNU the whole game, which resulted in improving to 4-3-1 for the overall season and 4-1 in the Pacific West Conference play.

This was the Red Storm’s third win in a row and the team is hoping for another at Hansen Stadium Monday night at 7 p.m.