Red Storm gear up for Homecoming game against SFU

Dixie State College football team will tackle Simon Fraser University on Oct. 27. 

The Red Storm played this team on Sept. 29 and suffered a loss. DSC is hoping to turn this game around and represent for its hometown on Homecoming week.

Dixie is currently third in the Great Northwestern Athletic Conference. Dixie is 3-5 overall and 3-4 in the Pacific West Conference.

“We are practicing harder and trying to get a little winning streak going into it,” said junior linebacker Jake Duncan, a communication major from Corona, Calif. “We’re trying to make sure we get as many fans out as possible.”

Offensive coordinator Judd Thompson said the team didn’t do very well when it played against SFU the first time. He said they were down in points from the beginning and were never able to recover.

“We are excited to get them home and play much better,” Thompson said. “I think we are much more consistent, and that will result in more points. We are hoping to get off to a much better start.”

The Red Storm also played SFU last year. They beat the Dogs at home but lost the away game.

“We still have a lot to play for,” Thompson said. “If we went out and did well this next [game], we can move up in the conference.”

Duncan said there is a lot of Dixie State pride going around for the game.

“We play better at home for obvious reasons,” Duncan said. “I think just having as many people are out here as possible would be a big help and showing everybody else that comes into town that Dixie is the place to be.”

Duncan said the best part about the Homecoming game is the big crowd.

Students are also excited about the game and all the events leading up to it.

“I’m super excited for Homecoming week because I always go to all the games, and it’s always a blast,” said freshman Hogan Walker, a general education major from Pleasant Grove.

“The mascot is my favorite part of the football games,” said freshman Tyrel Morse, a criminal justice major from Bountiful. “He is the funniest guy there. I am also excited about the Homecoming game because it’s going to be tons of fun.

The Red Storm play Simon Fraser University 7 p.m. on Saturday at Hansen Stadium.