Red Storm suffer three losses over weekend

Football

The Dixie State football team has a 3-7 overall record with its last game coming up against Central Washington University Nov. 10 at 1 p.m.

The team had its last home game of the season Nov. 3 against Azusa Pacific University and suffered a 21-23 loss. Junior quarterback Griff Robles completed 19 of 37 passes for 205 yards and added 94 net yards on the ground. Senior wide receiver Zach Fox made a team-high of six grabs for 72 yards, and senior defensive back Cache Morgan led the defense with 10 tackles. Freshman running back Myles Burton had the best game of his career with 17 carries for 76 yards.

Men’s soccer

The men’s soccer team ended its season with a 5-11-2 overall record.

The team had its last game Nov. 3 against Azusa Pacific University and suffered a 4-1 loss. The team out shot the Cougars in each half 8-4 and 12-4 but only once found the back of the net. Sophomore midfielder Erik Schallenberger netted a goal in the 83rd minute inside the left post off a crossing shot from Eric Christensen.

Although the game came out a loss, the team worked to send the ball past the goalkeeper multiple times. Senior midfielder Francisco Rivero added four shots to the game, and senior midfielder Tyler Albretsen added three. Rivero and Albretsen are the two graduating seniors on the men’s soccer team after a four-year collegiate soccer career.

Rivero played 56 games and took a total of 20 shots in his four years of playing. Albretsen played 51 games at Dixie and had the team high in assists.

Women’s soccer

The women’s soccer team ended its season with a 9-10-2 overall record. The team had its last game Nov. 3 against Azusa Pacific University and suffered a 2-1 loss.

Sophomore forward Kimberly Thurman scored the team’s only goal in the 67th minute when she lined up from the right side and threaded a shot to the left post.

Seniors goalkeeper Abby Johnson, defender Dacee Stephens and defender Kelsey Tesoro were honored before the game and ended their collegiate soccer career Saturday night. Johnson had the most amount of saves as goalkeeper on the team at 131. Stephens played 55 games in her career and had two game-winning goals in 2010. Tesoro was one of the top five players with the most playing time and had the team high in assists for her career.

Men’s Cross Country

The men’s cross country team had five meets this season and ended in 17th place in the NCAA West Regional on Nov. 3.

Rodney Warr had a time of 34:57, Zach Smith had a time of 35:23, and Dawson Flake had a time of 36:19. The team’s most successful meet of the season was at the UNLV Desert Invitational Sept. 29 where it took second place. The men’s cross country team has a young team with no graduating seniors.

Women’s Cross Country

The women’s cross country team also had five meets this season and finished the last meet, the NCAA West Regional, in 13th place.

Senior Rachel Young accomplished her goal of making it to the NCAA National Championships by finishing in 8th place with the time of 21:59 at Regionals. Young will travel to Joplin, Mo., for the NCAA Finals on Nov. 17. Brianna Decker followed her with a time of 23:33, and Celeste Gutzman was the third DSC runner to finish with a time of 23:53.

Skyler Tarver and Young are the two graduating seniors on the team.

Volleyball

The DSC women’s volleyball team has a 7-13 overall record so far and has its last game Nov. 10 against Grand Canyon University at 5:30 p.m.

The team took a 3-0 win against Notre Dame De Namur University Nov. 3 with the scores of 25-14, 25-22 and 25-13. Senior outside hitter Brita Jensen had a game-high of 14 kills that lead DSC to victory. Junior right side Pauline VonDinklage added with seven kills, freshman setter Shelby Sorensen had 32 assists, and both liberos, sophomore Alex Anderson and junior Brittany Kelly, had nine digs each.