Macklemore coming to DSC in 2013

Macklemore’s catchy songs about golden days and thrift store shopping are helping him gain popularity in the music industry and among the students of Dixie State College.

Though he may not be as commonly known as Yellowcard, last spring’s performance choice, the Dixie State College Student Association, as well as many students, are confident his concert will be a success.

Student Body President Brody Mikesell was the first to suggest Macklemore as the entertainer of choice. After some discussion, he and the rest of the executive council decided to take a poll on Facebook.

“We put out a survey asking students yes or no to Macklemore,” said Sami Warninck, DSCSA vice president of student life and a senior business major from Wanship. “We only received positive feedback and decided to move forward.”

Because Macklemore is not as mainstream as some of the other performers who have attended Dixie, like Yellowcard or Andy Grammar, there was some speculation as to why the DSCSA decided to have him come perform. 

But Warnick said bringing Macklemore to the college was based on what the students wanted, and not on his price tag. 

“Funding is always a consideration, but was not the deciding factor,” Warnick said. “His growing popularity with students on campus was what prompted us to bring him.”

So why is Macklemore such a hit with the college demographic?

“I like how real he is,” said Paul Stevenson, a junior integrated studies major from St. George. “He doesn’t just rap about provocative or dirty things. They are all things you can relate to or listen to and think about; it’s poetry in music.”

For some students, Macklemore’s style is what appeals to them.

“His style is more underground,” said Jeremy Garcia, a freshman CIT major from St. George. “It’s more intelligent rap and intelligent music, where most of the music that is more mainstream isn’t very intelligent.”

Holden Thatcher, a freshman business major from St. George, said Macklemore’s music brings more to listeners than just catchy tunes.

“The way that he writes his music is definitely different,” Thatcher said. “But I feel like as people pay closer attention to what music is saying they are catching on to and appreciating more of the message than just the sound and the beats.” 

Macklemore will be here to perform with his producer, Ryan Lewis, on March 8 of next year. The performance is scheduled on the Friday before Spring Break.

“We have had many students from Dixie and other schools already express interest in the concert,” Warnick said. “The concert will be a great Spring Break kickoff for students.”

So if you need an incentive to stay and attend your Friday classes before Spring Break, or don’t have any money to go on vacation, grab tickets and go see Macklemore.