Christmas White Out dance raises funds, awareness for children in need

Between the black lights, face paint, gut-shaking bass and giant white balloons, Dixie State College students danced it out in the old gym to support a good cause.

Students made it very clear that disc jockey Marcus Wing has made quite a name for himself at the college. Fundraiser aside, many students insisted Marcus Wing was one of the biggest factors in their decision to attend the White Christmas White Out dance Friday night.

“I love that everyone got into the funk that Marcus Wing put on,” said Taylor Timothy, a sophomore communication major from Brigham City.

Nate Stevenson, a freshman general education major from St. George, received an award from Wing for sporting a homemade “I love MW” shirt at the dance. His award? A “bienvenidos” headband Wing found thrift shopping.

“He is a great guy,” Stevenson said. “I like how he mixes up his music and really involves the crowd.”

Wing also tossed out various articles of thrifted clothing to the crowd when he played Macklemore’s “Thrift Shop” and promoted his upcoming concert.

The dance was the official kickoff for the Angel Tree fundraiser. Students can participate by stopping by one of the many trees set up around campus, including one in the student government room in the Gardner Center.

“Grab a tag off the tree with a child’s age and gender on it and get a present for the child, like a toy, coats, shoes, clothes or diapers,” said DSCSA vice president of student life Sami Warnick, a senior business major from Wanship. “Then return your unwrapped gift to the student government room by Dec. 7.”

The proceeds from both the dance and the trees on campus will all be donated to Coins for Kids.

“Donations for the Angel Tree fundraiser went really well last year,” Warnick said. “We ended up taking a couple truckloads to Coins for Kids.”

Many students said they were excited to donate to the fundraiser, both at the dance and by picking a tag off the trees on campus.

“I have my tag right here in my pocket,” said Preslee Patton, a freshman business major from Hooper. “I got a 3-year-old boy.”

Those in charge of the dance were pleased with the amount of students who came out and donated.

“We had a really good turnout,” said DSCSA Social Chair Ashley Graf, a junior integrated studies major from St. George. “We are very happy with what we got.”

Overall, the dance raised more than $1,300 to send to Coins for Kids. The Angel Tree fundraiser will continue until the end of the semester.