Women’s team take losses in stride, prep for Jan. 10 game

After three straight road losses, the Dixie State College women’s basketball team is trying to bounce back for its big game on Jan. 10.

The Red Storm lost both games in the Vegas tournament where they played University of Central Missouri and Pittsburg State University. Both of those games led to the team’s third loss on Dec. 31 against Seattle Pacific University. 

Head coach Angela Kristensen said she feels like the team is potentially getting to where it needs to be in order to beat the upcoming teams.

“We have been putting up some big numbers the last few games,” Kristensen said.

She said at one point the women had been averaging more than 85 points.

“Our offense is coming together, so we are getting more movement,” said junior forward Johnna Brown, a communication major from Las Vegas. “So that is creating a lot more defense. The defense is starting to pick up, and we have been getting a lot more steals.”

But will all of this preparing help them face one of the team’s toughest opponents, Grand Canyon, on Jan. 10?

“I think we are going to do pretty well,” Brown said. “Every day we turn our game around, and we are getting better.” 

GCU beat the Red Storm twice last year, and in the past they have split almost every year.

“[GCU] has won the conference the past four or five years, so obviously it’s a big-time game,” Kristensen said.

She said the biggest threat the Antelopes has against them are they are loaded, they are deep, and their guards are unbelievable. She said they also have to do a good job at containing their guards.

“I think they are a top 15 program, so there are no weaknesses there,“  Kristensen said.

She said Brown has been someone who she can count on during the games.

Since Kristensen doesn’t think GCU has any weak spots, she is counting on Brown to be one of the key players for the game.

“She is a leader, (and) she is our rock,” Kristensen said.  “She can do it all.”

Brown said playing GCU is always a good game.

“Playing at their place is hard, but hopefully when they come here we get a big jump on them,” Brown said. “They are a good team, so we are going to have to play up to how we play.”

Overall the team has been having good experiences with the start of this season.

“It is just fun, once you get out there,” Brown said. “Practices and everything else suck but the games are fun, especially when you win. So I’m just going to go out there and do something while I can.”