Kylee Young named D-Queen

Friends were created when Dixie State University crowned the new D-Queen. 

Kylee Young, a senior communication major from Oakley, Idaho, was crowned D-Queen on Tuesday.

Young bested 11 other young women. She said while all the girls were competitive, they were all very supportive toward each other.

“Getting to know all of the girls was my favorite part of the whole competition,” Young said.

Young said she loved when all of the girls were getting ready backstage together.

“I wish that the audience could see what goes on back there,” Young said. “It is hectic, but all of us just joke around the whole time.”

Lydia Jeppson, a sophomore business major from Price and first attendant, said getting to know all of the girls is a hidden perk that comes with competing in the pageant.

“It was easy to make friends with all of the girls because we all have one thing in common: the love we have for our dear school,” Jeppson said.

Alex Anderson, a sophomore biology major from Prescott, Ariz., and second attendant, agreed with her fellow royalty members.

“I loved talking to everyone in the dressing room and interacting with so many different personalities,” Anderson said.

DSU Student Association Public Chair Shaelie Knutson, a junior communication major from Preston, Idaho, said Young was chosen because she scored high in all of her categories and had many hours of service.

“She is going to be a great representative for Dixie State,” Knutson said.

Student government is hoping Young will have an influence on Dixie while it is still a young university.  

“I just want her to be an example of service and poise,” Knutson  said.

Young will be required to attend Dixie-sponsored events on campus and in the community, and she is looking forward to the opportunity to represent Dixie State University.

“This whole process has been very exciting and a lot of fun,” Young said. “I am honored to be this year’s D Queen.”