Dixie Athletics quickly recovers after multiple staff changes

Coaches are a source of motivation in all sports, but at Dixie State University there have been many changes among the coaching staff.

Within the past year, DSU has seen coaching changes in women’s basketball, men’s basketball, women’s soccer, men’s golf and rugby. It has also seen changes the past three years in volleyball. Dixie State has also added women’s golf this year.

Athletic Director Jason Boothe and Dixie athletics announced Monday that Catherria Turner will become the new head women’s basketball coach. This is coming after Angela Kristensen was let go mid-season.

After Kristensen’s release, Derek Dawes, the community engagement coordinator, was named the interim coach. Dawes then said he would not return as head coach after the season ended.

Turner is coming off two seasons at Holy Names University, where she finished with a 25-32 record. Turner has also served as assistant coach at University of Portland, University of Maine and Simpson College.

“She is an excellent young coach with coaching experience,” said Boothe. “She has done well with what she had at Holy Names University.”

Coaching changes have also started taking place in men’s basketball. Assistant coach Jake Schroeder has accepted the head coaching job at Bingham High School in South Jordan. He will finish the semester at Dixie State and will be leaving in June.

“I was interested in the [Bingham] job, and I didn’t think it would open up,” said Schroeder. 

Bingham High is Schroeder’s alma mater. After playing basketball there, he continued to play basketball for Snow College, where he first met then Snow College head coach Jon Judkins. After finishing his college career at Portland State, he called Judkins and everything “worked out” for him to come to Dixie State.

“I have loved working with coach Judkins, and we’ve done well together,” Schroeder said.

Schroeder is departing after spending seven years at Dixie State University.

Women’s soccer saw the resignation of Linda Huddleston in November, and DSU didn’t waste time getting a replacement.

Kasey Bingham was hired in December shortly after leading her former soccer team, Paradise Valley Community College, to a national championship.

Rugby coach Jeremy Lister has also said he will not return as head coach of the rugby club team.

Gregg Jensen led the volleyball team from 2008 to 2010 before being released by the college. Darice Pratt then took the helm the following season, only to move away after the season ended. Now, Robyn Felder is the head coach of the volleyball team, entering her second season.

Brad Sutterfield was hired in July and has since finished his first season as head men’s golf coach. The golf team has done well this year, but it has yet to place higher than third in any tournaments. 

Sutterfield was hired after Reed McArthur resigned in July for personal reasons. McArthur helped lead the golf team to multiple NCAA West and Central Region tournaments during his five year stay at Dixie State.

Women’s golf had its inauguration year and did well in the conference championships placing third.

Boothe was ecstatic with how well the women’s golf program has turned out for its first year.

“They’ve done wonderful,” Boothe said.

Sophomore Haley Dunn from Layton won the individual title for the tournament winning by six strokes. Dunn also claimed a share of the PacWest Player of the Year.

Freshman Brittney Bisgrove from McKinleyville, Calif., claimed All-PacWest second team and PacWest Freshman of the year.

“[Dixie State University] doesn’t push coaches to win like the bigger schools,” Boothe said. “The resignations have been personal reasons, and none have been bad situations. We don’t have anything to hide.”