Homecoming traditions continue on campus

Homecoming Week is a chance for students to meet new people, have fun and get involved with Dixie State University and the St. George community.

Homecoming Week started with the Homecoming Kick-Off  Monday by the fountain where the Dixie State University Student Association cooked food for students.

The DSUSA also had a little bit of a change Tuesday night for Homecoming Week with a drive-in movie.

“The idea behind this event was to create a new tradition that would bring together the community and the school,” said Carlos Morgan, DSUSA student body president and a senior communication major from Santa Clara. “It will bring ‘old-fashioned’ elements of an event to a modern time.”

The week will continue tonight with the Date Doctor at 7:30 p.m. in the Gardner Center Ballroom.

“(The best events are) probably the Date Doctor or the actual Homecoming game and dance,” Morgan said. “All of those draw out a lot of people.”

The Midnight 5K will kick off Saturday morning with the Homecoming parade following at 10 a.m. The tailgate party is at 3:45 p.m., the football game is at 6 p.m., and, finally, the Homecoming dance at 9 p.m. and True Rebel night at midnight.

“I love all of the Saturday events because there are so many people that come out and get involved,” said Jordyn Hanevold, DSUSA vice president of student life and a senior communication major from Logandale, Nev. “At the parade, there are a lot of community people, and it’s also great to see everyone coming out to support the football team. I love the Homecoming Dance and True Rebel night. Saturday is the most spirited day.”

Saturday is arguably the biggest day for Homecoming Week. 

“Students love True Rebel,” Hanevold said. “Of course, they would take any chance to get into the fountain and make out with someone.”

Morgan said the Homecoming Dance doesn’t have a dress code of any kind this year. The dance will have a super hero theme, and students will be allowed to dress up as their favorite super hero. 

“If you have a costume or a cape, that would be ideal,” Morgan said.