DSU one step closer to history

The Dixie State University women’s volleyball team ran its win streak to four Monday night, defeating the visitors from Chaminade University.

The Red Storm executed their game plan to perfection, defeating the Silverswords in straight sets 25-20, 25-16 and 25-13 for their fourth straight win.

“We had the complete game that we’ve really been looking for all season,” said head coach Robyn Felder. “We wanted to play our best volleyball heading into these last two matches. The unity out there was awesome.”

Senior outside hitter Shannon Young led the DSU attack with 12 kills. Nicole Koehler, Kendahl Weiland and Makenzi Bird added seven kills each. Sophomore setter Shelby Sorenson contributed 32 assists, and sophomore libero Alex Anderson had 11 digs in the defensive effort.

“The passing opened up the hitting for all of us,” Young said. “[There was] great setting by Shelby and Kailey [Avery], and the middles (held) the blocks; it brings confidence.”

Dixie began the first set well, jumping out to an early 10-4 lead, forcing a Chaminade timeout. The Silverswords cut the lead to as few as three points, but the Red Storm proved to be too much to handle, taking the set 25-20.

DSU took control early in the second set as well, quickly asserting its dominance with an 11-4 start.  Chaminade couldn’t stop the Storm as Dixie won the set 25-16.

“A goal for us was to limit their momentum,” Felder said. “We wanted to limit them to no more than two points (in a row). We did that consistently, and they could never get anything going.”

The Silverswords couldn’t find any momentum in the third set as Dixie State dominated from beginning to end, cruising to a 25-13 victory.

Dixie State is holding out hope for a possible berth in the NCAA tournament. The Red Storm must take care of business Saturday by defeating Point Loma University. With a victory, the Storm would move ahead of the Sea Lions in the Pacific West Conference standings.

“[Making the tournament] would be fantastic,” Felder said. “We’ve had a great season. We’re far from where we want to be, but I think the steps we’ve taken this year are definitely in the right direction for this program.”

Young is hopeful the women can make history for the program this season by making its first NCAA tournament appearance.

“It would be the best feeling ever,” Young said. “We’ve put in so much effort and worked every single day the past few months. We can do it. I know we can.”

The Red Storm conclude the regular season against Point Loma Saturday at noon in the Student Activities Center. 

“(Point Loma) is a great team, and we need to win,” Young said.

The Storm’s three seniors, Young, Sheila Uluave and Pauline VonDinklage, will be honored in a short ceremony prior to the opening serve in their last game in front of the SAC crowd.