DSU softball shows signs of dominance in Las Vegas

The sun was shining in February, the national anthem played, and NCAA softball was back in action — and then there was a Storm.

After splitting its opening double-header, the Dixie State University softball team won four of its next five games in a tournament held in Las Vegas.

Dixie’s lone loss came in the middle of the tournament to California State University, Dominguez Hills 8-1 Feb. 8.

“We got together as an infield and talked about [our energy] and made sure we had 10 times more energy, and that made a world of a difference,” said senior pitcher Mattie Snow, a psychology major from Tooele.

The Storm started the tournament with a shortened five-inning 8-0 win against Colorado State University-Pueblo.

The scoring began with a two-run home run in the third inning by junior second baseman Nicole Chavez.

“Its an easy game,” head coach Randy Simkins said.  “If you throw strikes, it’s hard to beat you.”

The Storm stopped a comeback attempt in their next game against University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. DSU won 7-5.

DSU allowed two runs in the fifth inning that cut its lead to one point, but junior outfielder Courtney Sherwin hit a double that allowed junior outfielder Courtney Hine to score the last run of the game.

“We have really good team chemistry this year,” Snow said.

The Storm dropped seven points in two innings against California State University, San Bernardino, which led to an 8-0 victory.

In the highest scoring match of the tournament for the Storm, the women won 15-9 against New Mexico Highlands University.

NMHU had four home runs which resulted in nine points, but Dixie’s firepower was stronger throughout the entire game.

Dixie scored seven runs in the seventh inning to ensure the victory.

“It’s my senior year, so whatever happens, happens,” Snow said. “We have really good teammates, and we are going to go far. But this is my last year, and we are going to have some fun.”

DSU will play a four-game home stretch next against Western New Mexico University Feb. 14 and 15.

“We still have high expectations for this year,” Simkins said.