Student government candidates provide insight to campaign plans

Dixie Sun News spoke with the three candidates for student body president, the two candidates for vice president of academics, and the candidate for vice president of clubs with student government election primaries Monday and final elections Feb. 26 to Feb. 28. 

Samuel Jamison, a junior communication major from St. George and candidate for student body president. 

What qualifies you for the position?

“I’ve been a part of the DSUSA for a year now, and I understand what’s going on … I feel like the empowerment that comes with the office of student body president would be a good way to empower me to get what I feel is a good thing done for Dixie.”

What experiences at DSU fueled your interest in running for office?

“Something that really perked my interest is recently I’ve been learning a lot about the history of Dixie — just the Dixie songs, the traditions and understanding what the spirit is all about … besides just the warm weather.”

If you win, how can you make a positive impact next year? 

“What I would want to do to help the school … is try to form another club — like a bigger club maybe — that helps students learn about [DSU’s history and traditions]. Another thing I want to try to do is help students learn about Dixie. If I could do fundraiser and get alumni involved to raise some money, we could afford to buy some literature and distribute it to the students who are truly interested in Dixie’s past.”

Gregory J. Layton, a senior English major from Cottonwood Heights and candidate for student body president. 

What qualifies you for the position? 

“I’ve been here for three years, and I have been involved with newspaper, clubs, sports and student government. All these experiences have helped me see how Dixie is ran and to get to know people in different areas. I know people in athletics and a lot of the administrators; I work with them on a daily basis. Just for that fact alone, I feel like I’m the most qualified candidate for the position.” 

“I go to a lot of events at school, and a lot of times I get bugged or sad that there’s not a really solid feeling of unity on campus. It seems like people don’t support each other as much as they could … I just really feel like I have ideas and the drive to help us [acquire an identity].” 

“If I am elected, student government members will set goals and have plans and vision. I have a vision of Dixie — not too different from what it is now, but just being more supportive and really trying to be connected to every aspect of the college … As an executive council, we can use each function to execute our vision.”

Clint Post, a senior communication major from Weiser, Idaho, and candidate for student body president. 

What qualifies you for the position?

“The biggest things that qualify me are my real-life experience and my understanding of the student body and being able to … understand what students need and want.  Because I’m 28, I’m married and I’ve been through all the experiences that most students will go through … I’m kind of a non-traditional student and at the same time been through the traditional student stages.”

“Probably the biggest thing is what Dixie did for me. Being a non-traditional student, I had a different view on education. Coming to Dixie has helped me realize the role that education will play in influencing lives, and it’s bigger than I ever imagined.”

“As [student body president], I’m going to be involved with the board of trustees and the new president. Having a new president is an amazing opportunity to take Dixie forward. President Nadauld has done wonders for this university, and so now that we’ll have a new president, we have the opportunity to say, ‘OK, now we’re going to take it to the next level.’” 

Alex Lambson, a junior CIT major from Santa Clara and candidate for vice president of academics. 

What qualifies you for the position? 

“I’m a natural-born leader. Any group projects I’ve been in I’ve led. I was a project manager for a Thomson Reuters convention … and it was just my dad and me who did the entire thing.. Also, I’ve spent a year on student government; I’ve been volunteering for every single department — doing twice as many hours a week as I’m required, and I’m just doing it because I like to.” 

“It was my year on student senate that makes me want to run for office. I’ve noticed the senate represents the overachievers. It’s about the overachievers, and we don’t do as much to help the other kids. I still want to designate funds for the overachievers to go on things, but I think we should spend more time on getting everyone higher up.” 

“I want student senators in their job descriptions to be able to help the students in their departments. Senators are usually the top of their class; I want them to be available to help. And also, I would probably do a lot of fundraisers for the Tutoring Center because right now they have limited resources.”

D’Andre Mathews, a junior biology major from Las Vegas and candidate for vice president of academics. 

What qualifies you for the position? 

“This year I was appointed as the senator of the health science department, which is the most coveted department on this campus. The three years I’ve been here I’ve served on two of the three major student organizations, I’ve been a member of the [Multicultural and Diversity Club] for three years … and I know what the students want. 

“What has really fueled my interest in running is the love of DSU. I want to be able to send my kid to the school I went to because I believe that it’s grown. Well, in order for it to grow, I need to contribute to that growth, right? When you want something done, the best person to start that change is yourself.” 

“There are students out there who feel like no one is listening to them, who feel like they don’t have a chance here at Dixie. I’m here to tell those students they are wrong. I have this chance in my life to … inspire a student body to be more.”

McKell Price, a sophomore communication major from Brigham City and candidate for vice president of clubs. 

What qualifies you for the position?

“I’ve been involved with clubs for about a year now, and I’ve really enjoyed it. And I hope to continue some of the goals the past vice presidents that I’ve worked with set, Greg Noel and Brandon Lewis now. They’ve set some cool goals, and I’ve been able to experience that firsthand.”

“When I got here as a freshman, I didn’t know everything that Dixie had to offer. But I got into student government … and I realized there’s so much happening at Dixie. There’s a club for just about anything, and if there’s not, you can start one. It’s really incredible to see the growth that happens when you start a club.”

“I’m willing to work hard to make sure there is something for everyone on this campus. I feel like I’m very personable, and this position isn’t for me. It’s for the campus. It’s not to build my ego because I want to help the students and be available to help them make what they want to do with clubs happen.”