Men’s, women’s basketball teams fall short of PacWest Championship

Thursday night saw a disappointing loss by the Dixie State University men’s basketball in the Pacific West tournament.

The No. 3 DSU men’s basketball fell to No. 6 Hawaii Pacific 61-75 in the quarterfinals Thursday afternoon.

Although the team was able to hold off the Sea Warriors for most of the game, at times by as much at 10 points, Hawaii Pacific clinched the lead with only 4:46 left in the game.

Dixie, shooting field goals at only 29.2 percent, was unable to regain its momentum as Hawaii Pacific finished off the game outscoring Dixie 10-4 in the final four minutes of play.

Junior forward Zach Robbins led all players with 21 points and 12 rebounds.

The Hawaii Pacific Sea Warriors then fell 69-83 against No. 2 Dominican University the following day.

However, this isn’t the end for the DSU men’s basketball team as it was selected as the No. 6 seed in the west region for this year’s NCAA Division II tournament. It begins this Friday where it will take on No. 3 seed Cal Poly Pomona.

The Dixie State women’s hard-fought season came to a close as it fell to the eventual PacWest champion, Academy of Art University, 72-82.

The women played a rough first half, unable to gain a lead until a 20-7 run put them in front going into halftime.

Once the second half was underway, Dixie pulled away with an eight-point lead before the Urban Knights came back to win by 10.

Offensively, both Dixie State and Academy of Art played an evenly matched game, shooting at 36.5 and 36.6 percent from the field.

However, the Urban Knights capitalized on a strong free throw game, out shooting the Red Storm 64.5 to 40 percent.

The Academy of Art would go on to win the PacWest Championship and now continues on as the No. 7 seed in the NCAA Division II West region.