DSU softball ready to take on Hawaii

The Dixie State University softball team has its eyes on another Pacific West Conference championship, and it’s only half way through the season.

The Red Storm are heating up in conference play, as they won 10 of their last 12 games and are now on top of the PacWest standings.

Junior infielder Bailee Freeland, an accounting major from Ogden, is finding her groove in the batter’s box. Freeland is currently one of six batters hitting well above .300 thus far for the Red Storm.

“I think the biggest thing for me is not thinking so much while in the box and just being confident,  using my strengths as a lefty,” Freeland said.

Going into this weekend’s games, DSU will be hoping to retain its first-place standing with a series against three Hawaiian conference foes.

“Hawaii teams are always scrappy, but as long as we focus on what we need to do, like score early and just play our game, we should be just fine,” Freeland said.

Junior outfielder Courtney Sherwin, a psychology major from Tucson, Ariz., said hitting is a great strength for the team, and she expects it to grow stronger as the season continues.

“We hope to continue hitting well by practicing and focusing on what each individual player brings to the line up,” Sherwin said. “Whether it’s small ball and speed, or power and timely hitting, we really play off of each other’s strengths.”

The Red Storm are sure they will continue to have a successful season, but they know that in order for that prediction to come true, they still need to stay focused during each game.

“I am very confident that our team has the potential to win another conference championship, but we have to take every game one inning at a time and not let up on any team we still have to face,” Sherwin said.

The Red Storm will return to play at home with a doubleheader Saturday at noon against the University of Hawaii-Hilo.