DSU women’s golf places 10th

The Dixie State University women’s golf team was invited to be the only Division II team to play in the BYU Entrada Classic Monday and Tuesday.

Dixie struggled the first day when it finished in the No. 16 spot with a total score of 338.

The Storm couldn’t make a comeback the second day as they remained in the No. 16 spot with a total score of 1040 in three rounds of 18 holes.

The Storm finished at No. 10 in the Sunbrook golf tournament Friday.

Oral Roberts University as well as Weber State University tied for first place in the tournament. Both were champions by shooting 615. Southern Utah University followed in second, and Grand Canyon University placed third in the tournament.

The Storm’s Haley Dunn was the highest scorer for Dixie State with 160, and she tied for the No. 26 spot in the 71-player, 21-team tournament.

“I think that we played fine, but the greens were tricky and that’s what we struggled on,” said Dunn, a junior elementary education major from Layton.

Dunn said she practiced by getting on the putting green before the round and focusing on putting the ball in the 2-foot-circle while on the course.

Dixie’s junior Hannah Folks tied for No. 50 with 170, sophomore Kellie Busse tied for No. 54 with 171, and sophomore Madalynne Fedoruk placed No. 58 with 172.

“I am really proud of how our team did, but I know we will do even better this next tournament,” said Busse, a business major from Las Vegas. “We just need to start mentally preparing and not let anything get to us.”

The Storm started preparing for their upcoming tournament the next day to fix any mistakes that were made at Sunbrook.

“I am stoked to redeem myself and play well [this next tournament],” Dunn said. “I know the team and I are fired up and ready to play as well.”

Their next tournament will be the Western New Mexico University-Mustang Intercollegiate tournament at Palm Valley Golf Club in Goodyear, Ariz., on March 30 through April 1.