Women’s soccer struggles to score

Dixie State could not gain a victory in its first two road tests of the season.

The weekend road trip would come to a close without success as DSU dropped a second straight game, losing 3-1 against California State University, San Bernardino.

The Red Storm led the game at half time, scoring after 32 minutes of play. Junior forward Erica Gonzalez was the goal scorer for DSU.

This was the only offensive success for DSU as Cal State, San Bernardino responded quickly in the second half, scoring the tying goal.

Despite being out-shot 17-6, DSU held its opponent off until late in the game, giving up two goals in the final 15 minutes of the game.

In its second away match, Dixie State could not find the net in its 4-0 defeat at the hand of California State University,
Los Angeles on Sept. 11.

“We were able to possess the ball well in both games,” said forward Mindi Beckstrom, a communications major from Nibley. “We just could not advance the ball in to the final third of the field to give ourselves more opportunities to score.”

The Red Storm found he opposite end of the spectrum after their 3-0 shutout victory Sept. 6 over Cal Poly Pomona.     Four different players scored for Cal State, LA, two in the first half and then two in the second half. The Red Storm were out-shout 21-7.

DSU replaced junior goalkeeper Stacie Gubler after the first half and went with freshman Danica Nusink in the second.

These were the first losses for DSU (1-2-1) this season after a strong start at home with a draw and then a win.

“We played two high-ranked teams,” Beckstrom said. “Obviously, tough results in both games, but I think our ability to move forward and learn from these games is going to make us even stronger.”