Volleyball continues 3-game win streak

Red Storm volleyball opened up conference play at home with two victories, increasing its win streak to three games.

DSU won both its matches by a score of three sets to none Friday and Saturday at the Student Activities Center on the DSU campus.

The crowd was energized from the beginning, and the Red Storm play mirrored that energy.

“Our team loves to perform in front of our home crowd,” said libero Alex Anderson, a junior integrated studies major from Prescott, Arizona. “It feels so good to be in a gym full of students and people from the community giving their support.”

Saturday’s victory was a display of power from the Red Storm, winning the first two sets by double digits over Dominican University.

The third set was close fought back and forth until DSU won four straight points to finish off the set 25-19.

“As a team, we knew we were better than the two teams we were playing,” Anderson said. “We knew we would not settle for letting them beat us. We had the confidence that we could, we would and we did.”

Middle Nicole Koehler a senior communication major from Sandy, said it is always good to come out with a strong weekend and starting out conference 2-0.

Outside hitters senior Maddie Rex and junior Edithza Urias, came through big for DSU. Both players reached double digits in kills. Urias led the team with 13, and Rex added 10 of her own.

“This year’s great because we have a really balanced offense,” said Rex, a business administration major from Tucson, Arizona. “If someone isn’t playing well, we have a lot of other people who can step up and get the job done.”

Both players also performed well in the first game Friday against Notre Dame de Namur, with Urias leading again with 10 kills and Rex with nine.

In the opening set, DSU came out blazing, nearly pushing its lead to double digits. NDNU fought back but was unable to complete its comeback falling 25-19.

The second set was even tighter halfway through, being tied 9-9. DSU pushed through and win 25-20.

“Every team puts up good competition in our conference,” Koehler said. “There isn’t one team we can take lightly. But we knew that if we played clean, crisp volleyball we would win.”

The third set was controlled by the Red Storm as they finished off their opponent 25-15.

The two victories give DSU a 2-0 record to start conference play this season.

“We need to remember how good we are,” Anderson said. “We need to have the confidence to show it and beat the better teams in the conference.”

Koehler said the team always talks about winning it all. She said Dixie wants to take the season one game at a time because each game matters, and it can’t take one lightly.

The Storm head back onto the road Thursday against conference opponent Holy Names University (California).