DSU announces homecoming game involvement

The D-Crew and Student Alumni Association have made plans for the events of each Homecoming athletic game for Dixie State University, and each DSU fan has the opportunity to wear certain colors to each game and a tailgate party.

DSU Homecoming Week spans from Monday to Saturday with many games available for students to attend. There are plans surrounding the home games of volleyball, baseball and football.

“Homecoming games are different from all the other games,” said Camie Nelson, vice president of the D-Crew and a freshman health science major from St. George. “The Alumni Association really makes an extra push to invite all the alumni to feel welcome and a part of Dixie.”

Volleyball

The DSU women’s volleyball team returned from a Hawaiian road trip and faced Academy of Art Tuesday at the Student Activities Center. The Storm had a 10-1 Pacific West Conference record on the line.

DSU students were encouraged to attend the game while sporting red, said Nelson.

Baseball

The baseball team will hold a scrimmage against the College of Southern Nevada on Friday at Bruce Hurst field. This is the second scrimmage for the baseball team in 2014.

For Homecoming, students have been asked to wear pink in support of the team, Nelson said.

Football

Football will have big festivities before the homecoming game on Saturday when the Storm take on Menlo College (California).

The D-Crew will host a tailgate party for students and alumni, Nelson said There will be food, prize drawings and activities for all. The party will be held at 3:45 p.m.

Students have been asked to wear DSU attire for the game, Nelson said.

Expectations

Students and DSU alumni will have a variety of events to participate in and show their school spirit.

“We anticipate that the games will be well-attended,” said Student Alumni President Chet Norman, a senior integrated studies major from St. George. “The student section will be loud and proud. We focus on keeping traditions alive and promoting the Dixie spirit.”

To also get the student section going, “The Man” will be in attendance for every game, Nelson said.

“The purpose of ‘The Man’ is to help us connect the different groups who participate in the games,” Norman said. “He brings the student section alive and helps get the students pumped with the cheerleading team.”

Alumni Involvement

Homecoming is a tradition not only for students but for welcoming DSU alumni back to the campus to be involved in the games and activities.

“In everything we do we try to involve our alumni as they are a great asset to DSU,” Norman said. “We always have a great turnout from alumni at our tailgate parties and especially our Homecoming events.”

The plans for Homecoming week have been set and great involvement is expected by both the D-Crew and DSU Student Association, Norman said.