Women’s basketball finds first win, another loss on road

The Storm ended their California road trip last weekend with a 69-57 loss facing California Baptist University.

The Storm held on with tight grip at a chance for the victory until the last five minutes of the game, where the Lancers increased the Storm’s 13 point deficit with an 8-0 run.

Senior guard Taylor Maynes led the team with 15 rebounds while senior guard Kaylah Miller and junior forward Brianna Jessop tied with 14 total points to lead the team.

“We went in [Saturday’s game] with a lot of confidence that we were going to knock the No. 2 team down,” Maynes, a business major from Salome, Arizona said.

Maynes said overall the women work really well as a team and when they see the Lancers again at the end of the season the Storm will be a different, much better team.

The Storm took on Point Loma Nazarene University to pull off a 71-67 win on Thursday for their first win on the road.

Maynes led with 12 rebounds to contribute to the win followed by junior center Taylor Mann with 10 points.

Jessop led with 15 points for the win followed by Maynes, as well as senior guard Miller with 14 points. Miller shot four three-pointers in precise moments for the Storm.

Throughout the game, the lead changed three times as Point Loma scored 22 points off turnovers.

Point Loma led the Storm eight points at half time, 39-31, but the Storm found their second wind as they came back to score 40 points in the second half to rise for a victory.

“I love the effort the girls gave in the second half,” head coach Jenny Thigpin said. “We talked about our defensive intensity at halftime and they came out and raised their level in the second half.”

Thigpin said the Storm were able to obtain key rebounds both offensively and defensively. She said the women also knocked down free throws when it counted.

“The girls stayed disciplined within our game plan and were able to execute when needed,” Thigpin said.

She said the balanced scoring for the players was also key. She said having four players in double figures along with 20 assists helped DSU gain a team-win while on the road.