Women’s basketball starts season 0­-2

Article by Parker Richey 

The Dixie State University women’s basketball team suffered back-to-back losses this weekend to start off its regular season.

The Storm struggled in the season opener against the University of Alaska Anchorage, losing 122­52 on the road to the nationally­-ranked Seawolves. UAA started hot with a 9­0 start and didn’t look back.

Redshirt freshman guard Tramina Jordan led the Storm with nine points, three rebounds and two assists. Senior guard Leslie Tademy and sophomore guard Sandria Bolden each added eight points of their own.

DSU struggled shooting throughout the game, making only 27 percent from the field, 20 percent from behind the three­-point line, and 60 percent from the free-throw line. The Seawolves outscored the Storm 62­-24 in the second half with 30 of those points coming from the free-throw line.

DSU returned to action in Fairbanks, Alaska, the following night, suffering another loss of 83­-73 to University of Alaska Fairbanks. DSU started the game off well with a 15­4 run in the second quarter, giving it a 29­-25 halftime lead.

UAF marched back with a couple runs of its own in the third quarter, including a stretch where it outscored the Storm 12-­2. After a hard battle in the final quarter, the Nanooks scored nine unanswered points to win the game.

Senior guard Leslie Tademy led the Storm with 14 points and five rebounds. Senior center Taylor Mann recorded her first double­-double of the year with 13 points and a game-high 16 rebounds.

DSU improved its shooting from the field to 39 percent after a bad night shooting in its first game. The Storm struggled holding on to the ball with 31 turnovers and also sent the Nanooks to the line 46 times. In the second half, 45 of the 58 points scored by UAF came off of DSU turnovers and free throws. 

“In our last three games, we have sent teams to the line way too much,” said Mann, an elementary education major from Castle Dale. “Our coaches want us to play better on ball defense and limit our fouls.”

Limiting both free throws and turnovers will be a focus this week in practice, head coach Jenny Thigpin said.

“Limiting turnovers is always a big focus for us,” Thigpin said. “We want to allow less shots with the clock stopped from the line.”

The team was pleased with its improvement from the first game to the second game. It hopes to continue to improve as it prepares to travel to Orem for an exhibition game at Utah Valley University Nov. 21 at 7 p.m.