DSU baseball splits double header

A game-winning single by junior outfielder Trey Reineke gave Dixie State University a split in its double header against California Baptist University Friday.

Game one of the double header saw DSU allow 10 runs over the first five innings of play. The Storm managed just two runs in the game despite recording 10 hits. DSU committed three errors in the game, which helped the Lancers to the 12-2 route.

Redshirt senior infielder Tanner Morache was the only Storm player with multiple hits in the game with two. Both of the runs DSU scored in the game were unearned.

In game two, the Storm jumped out to an early lead as it scored a run in the second inning. The Lancers quickly responded with a four-run inning in the third. DSU plated a run in its half of the fourth inning to bring to score to 4-2. 

With its back against the wall in the final inning, DSU scored two runs to force its fifth extra inning game of the year.  The Storm would prevail, though, as Reineke drove home the game winning run giving them the 5-4 win.

Morache recorded his eighth multi-hit game of the season as he finished 2-5. Redshirt junior outfielder Trey Kamachi also notched two hits in the game in four at-bats.

DSU now sits at 13-4 overall on the season and 1-2 in the Pacific West Conference.  It will wrap up the series with the Lancers Saturday at Bruce Hurst Field. First pitch is scheduled for noon.