Storm torch Vulcans

Four was the magic number for the Dixie State University Red Storm as they defeated the University of Hawaii Vulcans in both games of a doubleheader Tuesday.

Coming off two wins the night before against UH, the Storm set their sights on sweeping the Vulcans to finish the four-game series.

The Storm got things going in the fifth inning as they plated the first run of the game on a wild pitch.  They followed that up with another run in the sixth off a home run to right field by redshirt sophomore Cam Gust.

UH retaliated quickly, however, scoring three runs in the top of the seventh to take  3-2 lead. DSU would add a run in the home half of the eighth helping to send the game into extra innings. Junior outfielder Miles Bice played hero for the Storm as he drove home the game-winning run in the tenth on a single to center field giving his team the victory, 4-3.

It would take four runs in the second game as well for the Storm to come out victorious. DSU struck first blood in the opening inning with a run on a bases loaded hit by pitch.

Two runs in the third and one in the sixth was all DSU needed to secure the 4-0 win. Senior pitcher Chance Abrath pitched a complete game shutout while scattering five hits and allowing no walks in the winning effort.

DSU has a quick turnaround as it plays host to Fresno Pacific University in a four-game series beginning Thursday. First pitch is slated for 6 p.m. at Bruce Hurst Field.