Student pronounced dead at Student Activity Center

A woman who was found unconscious in the Student Activity Center was later pronounced dead on the scene Sept. 6.

Campus police and emergency medical staff responded to a 911 call at the Student Activity Center around at 8 p.m. Sept. 6. Jessica Reynolds, 26, of Santa Clara, was found unconscious and unresponsive in the women’s restroom.

Reynolds was a freshman chemistry major at Dixie State University.

CPR and life support were applied for 25-30 minutes when emergency personnel arrived, but she was pronounced dead after efforts to revive her failed, said Don Reid, director of campus police and security.

The cause of death has not yet been released. The body was sent to Salt Lake City for an autopsy.

Reid said they were reviewing security camera footage as part of the investigation. Reid said Reynolds attended class at 11 a.m., then came to the SAC with her husband at 2:45 p.m. Her husband of 11 days then left for work and Reynolds stayed at the SAC alone.

Reid said the international student adviser, Joyce Meyer, entered the restroom around 3:30 p.m. and noticed a woman in one of the stalls. Reid said Meyer noticed that the same stall was locked around 8 p.m. She knocked on the door but got no response, Reid said. He said Meyer was able to look under the stall and saw Reynolds lying on the floor, and she then called 911.

“The cause of death is currently unknown, but the autopsy report should be back sometime today,” Reid said. “As for the toxicology report, it won’t be back for two to three weeks.”

A group therapy session was  available at DSU’s Health and Wellness Center at noon September 7 for those affected by the incident. 

“Instances like these are always tragic when they impact our­ student body,” Dean of Students Del Beatty said. “We extend our deepest condolences to the family and will do anything we can to help them and all students get through this challenging time.”

Reid said the toxicology results have not come back yet, but they know Reynold’s death was not trauma related and she had no apparent illness. 

Funeral services will be held Wednesday, September 14, at 11:00 a.m at the Santa Clara 3rd Ward Chapel, 3040 Santa Clara Drive, Santa Clara, UT. A viewing will take place from 9:30­10:30 a.m. prior to the service. Interment will take place at the Santa Clara City Cemetery.