Hispanic Heritage Month celebrated, scholarships available

Dixie Hispanic Student Association starts off the Hispanic Heritage Month with an opportunity for Latino Hispanic students and a variety of events for the community.

DHSA is a student run organization that focuses on raising the awareness of Hispanic diversity on campus, exploring the culture in different ways, and creating a positive impact on the community through academia and service.

“I consider the club a friendly, fun and out-giving environment where I have been able to share about my culture, learn about others, and create strong friendships,” said DHSA member Jesus Rosas, a sophomore mathematics major from Guanajuato, Mexico.

The Latino community is celebrating the Hispanic Heritage Month, which is celebrated every year between Sep. 15 and Oct. 15 to recognize the contributions of Hispanic and Latino Americans to the United States. It started with the Salsa Dance Night on Sep. 15 where students learned some Latin moves and tasted chips and salsa. 

DHSA is run through the Multicultural Inclusion Center; they are established to support students with various cultural backgrounds and increase cultural diversity.

“There are approximately 2,000 students with a multicultural background, which makes them a racial minority on campus,” says Sandra Aguirre, President of the DHSA. “About 1,000 of them are part of the Latino Hispanic Community, which is the largest population of racial minorities on campus.”

The MIC offers The Multicultural Diversity Scholarship, which is given to students who are eligible and meet all the requirements of a high GPA and community service. Also, there is the Dreamers Scholarship that is available for undocumented students who are not eligible for financial aid or university scholarships.

Mike Nelson, Outreach Coordinator of the MIC,said the money for this scholarship comes from donations and fundraising events like the Diversity Week, where there are performances and dances from different cultures. The ticket profit from this event goes to the Dreamers Scholarship to help those students pay for their tuition.

To complement the celebration, according to an email sent from the Paramount Public Relations, Big Red, “America’s original and best-selling red soda,” has partnered with the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities to grant five $1,000 Big Red ¡Avance! scholarships to help students with their education. Students can learn more about the scholarships at www.bigred.com/scholarship and sign up to be notified when the scholarship application is available in January 2017.

The Hispanic Heritage Month events continue with the Diversity Week Game Day Loteria Oct. 4 at 12 p.m. at the Rebels Forever Memory Garden outside the Browning Learning Resource Center. At S’mores and Art on Oct 5 at 7:30 p.m at the Amphitheater by the Fountain, there will be a bonfire, roasting marshmallows, art, an art contest and giveaways. Movie Night on Oct 6 at 7 p.m. at the Gardner Student Center, students will be watching “McFarland, USA” and the celebration events end on Oct. 7 at 7:30 p.m. at the Gardner Student Center with the MIC Fashion Show. The third annual MIC Fashion Showcase is an event encouraging cultural diversity and awareness. It includes a cultural showcase of upbeat, high-energy performances, a fashion show featuring attire and music from various countries.