Policies on opposite-sex sleepovers depend on housing complex

Polices about overnight visits of the opposite sex have now changed since the past year but only at certain Dixie State University student housing. 

Forrest Gee, a junior criminal justice major from Herriman and a residence assistant at Campus view Suites said the five student housing Nisson Towers, Shiloh Hall, Chancellor Apartments, and Abby Apartments all are under the same rule and allow sleepovers of the opposite sex but roommates and the visitor staying the night must sign a waiver stating that it is OK, as well as the roommates where the guest is staying the night.

These policies have changed from last year.

This information is found on DSU’s housing website in the Resident Life Handbook

Reanna Lyle, a freshman integrated studies major from Corona, California, said she sleeps at her fiance’s dorm every night. Lyle said she and her fiance were staying the night before they knew about the policy for Campus View Suites.

After speaking to managers from Campus View Suites, Lyle said she is able to stay the night with her fiance after a waiver from her, her fiance and the roommates Ok the arraignment. 

“The con of sleeping with my fiance in his dorm is that the bed is too small; other than that it’s nice,” Lyle said. “It’s kind of different where we are engaged.”

She said she thinks student housing is trying to avoid people who don’t have their own apartment to try and get free rent by staying the night with someone else.

The policies of overnighters change with different student housing. 

Blaire Leavitt, manager of Red Rock Ridge student housing, said Red Rock does not allow sleepovers of the opposite sex and sleepovers of the same sex are not recommended either. Leavitt said the reason for not allowing sleepovers is to prevent someone constantly staying at the apartment for cost-free rent. 

Leavitt said family members of the same sex are able to stay the night but must be approved by Red Rock Ridge managers.

“Sleepovers always turn into people extending their stay and that is where it makes it easy to take advantage of,” Leavitt said. 

A $200 fine is given as a warning at Red Rock Ridge for students sleeping over, and after a second time, the student is evicted from Red Rock Ridge.

Karyn Javines, property manager of Vintage at Canyonlands Apartments said: “We just have to be considerate of the student’s roommates. With students sharing rooms here, we are very cautious of students feeling comfortable here.”  

Fernanda Jimenez, a sophomore biology major from Heber, and Jessica Zamudio, a sophomore nursing major from Heber, said there is really no harm to sleepovers. Both students live at Raintree Apartments and said they are upset with the idea and policy that their family members can’t even stay the night. On the Raintree Apartments website they state that no members of the opposite sex can stay the night for any reason.  Jimenez and Zamudio said there should be a change to the policy and not be so strict being that they are over 18 and can choose for themselves. 

Seth Gubler, director of housing and residence life at Campus View Suites said the rule was applied last. If suitemates are OK with the guest staying the night then we are OK with them staying the night according to the visitors pass which must be signed.

“I’ve seen an increase of people wanting to use the visitors pass but I know there are students who do have guests stay the night without signing the waiver;” Gubler said. “Unless there is a complaint by another student then we turn to the wavier but we do not police that or check the beds every night to make sure students follow this rule.”