DSU women victorious on last game of season

A season bursting with highs, lows and 21 loses ended Saturday with smiles all around for the Dixie State University women’s basketball team.

DSU won its final game of the season against Holy Names University 79-65. It was senior night for guard Cassidy Carrillo and Center Hannah Roberts of the Trailblazers. 

“We really wanted to get it done for the seniors tonight,” said redshirt sophomore guard Tramina Jordan, a communication major from Las Vegas. “Our defense and our ball movement tonight was the key to getting the [win].”

Jordan scored a career-high 21 points for DSU en route to the team scoring a season-high 79 points. The Trailblazers also assisted on 80 percent of made field goals in the game.

“We wanted to leave it all out on the court tonight since it is the last game of the season,” assistant coach Brennon Schweikart said. “We forced a season-high 18 turnovers and changed the pace of the game like we wanted to.”

The Trailblazers raced out to a six-point lead in the first quarter before HNU could cut it to 16-14 after the opening quarter.

Junior guard Matti Ventling buried back-to-back 3-pointers midway through the second quarter to help build a 30-24 Trailblazer lead. Both teams traded baskets as the second half winded down. DSU was up 40-32 with only one half left to play in the season.

The Hawks would try to close the gap over the course of the second half, but never could. Then Ventling hit her fourth 3-pointer of the game to give DSU held a 47-35 advantage.

After DSU took a 57-44 lead into the fourth quarter, HNU put together one final run. The Hawks cut the lead to 60-54 with under eight minutes to play, Jordan and the Trailblazers showed enough moxie down the stretch to seal the victory for the Trailblazers.

DSU shot over 42 percent from the floor and 82 percent from the line. DSU also outrebounded HNU 32-25.

“When we [halted HNU’s comeback] it showed our ability to battle through adversity, which is something we have dealt with all season,” Schweikart said. “The players came together and it was a great chance to show everyone how far we have come as a program.”

As the game dwindled down cheers echoed in Burns Arena as seniors Carrillo and Roberts were able to celebrate their final game as a Trailblazer with a victory.

“I was mentally prepared for tonight,” said Carrillo, a communication major form La Mirada, California. “We were really young this year, but experience and chemistry will help this team be better next year.”

DSU finished the season at 5-21 overall and 5-15 in Pacific West Conference play.