DSU baseball ties school record for hits

The Dixie State University baseball team accomplished something the program has only done once before.

The Trailblazers recorded 24 hits in a game against Holy Names University Sunday. DSU won three of four games in total against the Hawks in games that were filled with offensive production.

Coming into the weekend series riding six-game winning streak, the Trailblazers hosted HNU for a pair of doubleheaders Saturday and Sunday.

Junior pitcher Dylan File earned his third victory from the mound in the maiden game of the four-game set. He sprinkled three hits while only allowing one run in the win. He also fanned nine batters allowing only one free pass.

“It’s pretty easy for me when [our pitchers] get in a groove,” said junior catcher Jake Davison, an integrated studies major from Taylorsville. “[File] and I have a good connection. It makes my job easy, especially from our guys that throw a lot of strikes.”

Senior second baseman Tyler Mildenberg led DSU offensively going a perfect 4-4 driving in two RBIs and scoring two runs.

“I’ve been putting in the work, but for me its all just mental,” said Mildenberg, a sociology major from Hunington Beach, California. “Our coaches always have scouting reports for the opposing pitchers. You just have to go up there with a good game plan.”

The Trailblazers did most of their damage in the first four innings of play, scoring eight of their nine runs during that span. They added another run in the eighth before finalizing the victory 9-2.

The second game of the series was DSU’s lone loss of the weekend. The scored an identical nine runs, but the Hawks were able to push 12 runs across in the affair.

HNU chased DSU’s starting pitcher, junior Matt Mosca, from the game after four and 2/3 innings. Mosca suffered his first loss of the season after allowing five runs on nine hits.

Redshirt junior first baseman Logan Porter hit his team-leading fifth home run of the season on route to going 3-4 with 5 RBIs and one run scored.

Game three of the series was one for the record books. DSU plated 23 runs while recording 24 hits. The hit total is tied for the highest in school history. The original record was set Feb. 10, 2013 against California State University Los Angeles. 

Each of the nine starters for DSU had a hit in the game. Mildenberg went 5-5 with four RBIs and three runs scored. Porter was also perfect from the plate going 3-3 while driving in three RBIs.

The Trailblazers put the game away in the middle innings, scoring eight runs in the fourth, six in the fifth and eight more in the sixth.

DSU coasted to victory, 23-5, giving senior pitcher Mason Hilty his fourth win of the season from the mound.

“There is a good energy in the dugout when we are scoring like that,” head coach Chris Pfatenhauer said. “I would have given up four of those runs to win the series, but it’s always nice to score runs.”

The final game was the tamest of the series offensively. DSU still managed to put up seven runs and grabbed the victory, 7-3.

Porter capped off an already stellar series finishing 3-3 with three RBIs. In total, Porter went 9-12 and drove in 12 runs during the series.

“[Porter] is a good player,” Pfatenhauer said. “His bat has been huge for us in our lineup. He’s a run producer.”

Sitting at 14-4 overall, DSU will wrap up its 18-game home stand Friday as it hosts Concordia University Irvine. First pitch for game one is slated for 6 p.m. inside Bruce Hurst Field.