Beardshear throws no-hitter to topple Argonauts

Senior pitcher Brooklyn Beardshear threw a no-hitter Saturday as the Trailblazers stampeded over the Argonauts in a doubleheader. 

Dixie State University plowed its way through game one against Notre Dame de Namur University by putting up 11 runs in the first four innings before a mercy rule came into play and kept the Argonauts scoreless in game two. 

“Game one, I thought our bats were hot; I mean I feel like I struggled a little bit at the plate, but I thought we had a great game, and we hit the ball consecutively,” said senior shortstop Josey Hartman, an integrated studies major from Mapleton.  

DSU brought in runs on back-to-back singles and triples along with taking advantage of the five fielding errors by NDNU. 

NDNU switched pitchers the middle of game one and kept the same pitcher into game two where the Trailblazers were unable to score until the fourth inning.

“We hit [the NDNU pitcher] really hard at the end of the first game but didn’t make great adjustments to start game two, hitting a few balls right at people,” head coach Randy Simkins said.  

DSU only gave up one run with no errors in its 11-1 and 3-0 victories.  

The Trailblazers are now 17-5 and still have a shot to win the Pacific West Conference title as they currently sit in second place behind California Baptist University, who are 20-2. In order for DSU to take the title, it needs to win its remaining games and CBU needs to lose at least three games. 

“We know how important it is [going into these next few weeks], but we know we are good enough at the same time,” said junior third baseman Cassidy Morton, an exercise science major from Diamond Bar, California. “We know we need to not play uptight and stay relaxed; that’s when we play our best.” 

Simkins said the team will prepare both offensively and defensively to travel to California to take on Concordia University Irvine Friday.