Get an inside look on what’s playing at DOCUTAH

DOCUTAH starts Sept. 4 with films showing until Saturday, and with over 60 films this festival is worth a visit.  

Della Lowe, the director of marketing and public relations for DOCUTAH said, “There are just so many stories that are told through the documentary films at DOCUTAH that the hard part is deciding what to see.” 

Celeste Gonzalez, a freshman criminal justice major from southern California, said she is excited to have a festival that is free for students all week long.

“I’m ecstatic and can’t wait to see what kind of creative, cultural and educational things they’ll be providing,” Gonzalez said.

“Liberated: The New Sexual Revolution”

“Liberated: The New Sexual Revolution” is a documentary that focuses on the hook-up culture among  college-aged adults. The documentary goes inside different college spring break trips and brings to light casual sex and hook-ups that occur. The film also highlights the amount of sexual assault that happens in these environments. It discusses how sexual assault is becoming more common to hear about and even see happen. This film is quite graphic and includes strong language and some nudity, which may not appeal to certain viewers. It is being shown on Wednesday at 7:15 p.m. and again on Friday at 10:10 a.m.

“Little Stones”

This documentary takes place over a period of 18 months and was filmed in Senegal, Kenya, Brazil, Germany, India and the U.S. It showcases four women who use their art to advance the women’s rights movement. It will be shown on Wednesday at 12:30 p.m. and again on Saturday at 10:10 a.m.

“Expedition Alaska”

“Expedition Alaska” is a fast-paced documentary that follows 20 teams as they brave the Alaskan wilderness in order to compete in this life-threatening competition. Within seven days, they race over 350 miles carrying all of their supplies  on their backs. A group of college students from the University of Cincinnati were brave enough to join the racers on this adventure in order to produce this documentary.  Show times are Friday at 7:15 p.m. and Saturday at 12:15 p.m.   

“Dying in Vein, the Opiate Generation”

“Dying in Vein, the Opiate Generation” is a documentary that opens up conversation about the opiate and heroin addiction through the viewpoints of those most affected by it.  It follows not only people who have struggled with addiction, but emergency room physicians who are working to save the lives of addicts every day.  The film also touches on the stigma that surrounds addiction.  It will be shown at 4:15 p.m. on Wednesday and again at 7 p.m. on Friday.

“This is Everything: Gigi Gorgeous”

This documentary follows Gigi Lazzarato, born Gregory Lazzarato, as she announces to her family and the world that she is transgender. Gigi decides to share every moment of her transition with her YouTube followers and millions of others around the world. The film highlights her family and their unconditional love for Lazzarato.  Show times are Thursday at 7:20 p.m. and Friday at noon.

Cindy King, a professor at DSU and a member of the DOCUTAH advisory board, said: “As a DSU faculty festival advisory board member, liaison and film screener, I can attest to the variety and quality of the films that will be screened at this year’s DOCUTAH.         

Chosen from over 300 entries, these documentaries truly represent a wide range of voices and perspectives, and serve as a unique opportunity for DSU students to engage with the global issues with which these films are concerned.”

For more information about films and show times, visit docutah.com.