DSU soccer ranks No. 5 in RMAC preseason polls

The Dixie State University soccer teams stood out in the Preseason Poll in the RMAC.

The DSU men’s soccer team  and woman’s  soccer team was ranked No. 5 out of 12 in the RMAC soccer Preseason Poll.

Jonny Broadhead, men’s soccer head coach, said the preseason polls are based on the previous year’s game stats and performance. Broadhead said  coaches send in their nomination of players to RMAC. Next the RMAC sends the poll to all the teams in the conference to vote and then the votes are tallied, and the awards are given out, Broadhead said.

“It’s an educated guess, and that’s the fun part about any sport,” Broadhead said. “It doesn’t mean much. You have to show up and play every day.”

The coaches saw how the men played and already in their mind know where the team fits in the RMAC,  Broadhead said.

Gerry Lucey, head coach of the women’s team,  said the team was not  in shape but they are praticing to be at their best potential for their games this season.  Lucey said they are improving over the weeks before their games. They do not  have any team goals but they will come as time moves forward, Lucey said.

Forward Moses Medina, a  junior communication major from Mesquite, Nevada, made the RMAC preseason all-conference team this year.  Medina said it’s motivating to have received this spot. Because of his team rank, he said it gives other teams this fear of  how well the other teams will be beaten.

“It’s a different season,” Medina said. “We are going to go in there exited. We have a stronger team this year. I think it will be a very successful season.”

Both coaches from the teams said their teams are ready and to bring on the competition.

Broadhead said his players are confident about winning their games and he is also confident in their ability to win.

The first game of the season for the men’s team is at Texas-Permian Basin on Thursday. The woman’s team first game of the season is a three-game Southern California trip, which starts at California State San Bernardino on Thursday.

For more information, visit the Dixie Athletics page.