DSU students discuss best Mexican food spots

Photo by Jessica Johnson.

Mexican food is one of the most popular food types in the United States. Whether it is a taco stand, restaurant, food truck or a hole in the wall spot, you can never go wrong. Sometimes though, it is a bit tough to find truly authentic, good quality Mexican food.

Students coming from California can be skeptical about finding truly authentic Mexican food in Utah. Out of Utah’s 3.1 million population, only 14 percent is of Hispanic/Latino descent compared to California’s 39.5 million population and 39.1 percent being of Hispanic/Latino descent. Coming across a good Mexican restaurant anywhere in California is like finding grass at park. In southern Utah, it’s not as easy. Here are some local favorites here in St. George:

“La Cocina is a pretty great place,” said Bryahna Nall, a sophomore communication major from Ogden. “The best part about them is that they have $1 tacos every Wednesday.”

La Cocina’s menu isn’t the biggest, but everything they offer, whether it be burritos, tortas, tacos or quesadillas, will satisfy your cravings. They were ranked 28 on Insider’s 47 best taco joints in America. Some of the recommended items include the carne asada tacos and burrito, tinga (chipotle chicken) tacos and the al pastor tacos.

Sometimes the normal burrito or taco isn’t enough and you want to switch it up and get some al pastor fries or a mulita (essentially a taco sandwich) and have some aguas frescas (fresh fruit waters).

“I really love the authenticity of El Coyote,” said Diana Nordmark, a junior business administration major from Manti. “Their al pastor fries are my favorite thing on the menu.”

If you’re looking for that, El Coyote Charro is your place to go. They were ranked 47 on Insider’s 47 best taco joints in America. On Wednesdays they also have two for $1 on their tacos.

• El Coyote Charro
    • Monday – Thursday 11 a.m. – 10 p.m., Friday 11 a.m. – 11 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. – 11 p.m., Sunday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. Located at 757 N. Bluff St. and 969 N. 3050 E.

Jaedon Schwartz, a sophomore computer information technology major from Wiesbaden, Germany, said his favorite Mexican food place is Jalapeños because it’s a smaller “hole in the wall” spot that not a lot of people know about and their portions are great. They have two locations in St. George, but the one you want to go to is on Bluff Street, due to great quality being more consistent.

• Jalapeños
    • Main location: Monday – Thursday 7 a.m. – 10 p.m., Friday – Saturday 7 a.m. – 11 p.m., Sunday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. Located at 386 N. Bluff St.
    • Second location: Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. – 9 p.m., closed Sundays. Located at 795 E. 700 S.

One last local favorite is Cafe Sabor. Unlike the previous places mentioned, this is more of a sit-down restaurant than a grab a quick bite type of place. Even though it is a restaurant, the prices are reasonable compared to other restaurants. They have a bar area for those that are 21 and up and have $3 margaritas every Friday! Also, the carne asada fries are a must try according to their servers.

• Cafe Sabor
    • Monday – Thursday 11 a.m. – 10 p.m., Friday – Saturday 11 a.m. – 10:30 p.m., Sunday 12 p.m. – 8 p.m. Located at 290 E. St. George Blvd.

Go out and try one or all of these spots. Who knows, maybe you’ll find your new favorite spot to eat.