DSU offers free tax prep services

Graphic by Valerie De La O.

I’d tell you some tax jokes, but I doubt you’d depreciate it. Luckily, there are none to account for in this article. Dixie State University, on the other hand, can take care of all of your tax needs, minus the jokes.

DSU has a free tax program for anyone who makes less than $54,000 a year through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA). DSU’s VITA program was the top ranked Utah VITA site in 2017 in terms of generated returns completed and federal and state refunds. During the same year, VITA donated over 4,000 service hours, completed over 1,400 tax returns, and facilitated the return of over $2 million back into the DSU community.

The VITA program is offered through the accounting department on campus. Hours are 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday in the Udvar-Hazy School of Business and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Wednesday at the DSU Hurricane Education Center. Services are offered from Feb. 5 to April 11 and will be closed during spring break; make sure you plan accordingly.

Documents recommended to bring are photo ID, your social security card, income forms (W-2 from all employers, SSA-1099, all types of 1099 and 1099-B forms), a 1098 form, Affordable Care Act Documents (Form 1095-A, 1095-B or 1095-C), last year’s tax returns (not always required), and account and routing numbers.

Shelby Gunny, a senior business administration major from Las Vegas and a former employee for the VITA program, said she really enjoyed the program because it gave her real life experience and knowledge to file her own taxes.

“I loved being able to meet new people and getting them a bigger tax return than what they expected,” Gunny said. “Students shouldn’t worry about getting their taxes filed by non-professionals; everything is reviewed by a professional to make sure the math and information is put in correctly to ensure accuracy, and more times than not a student can get some good deductions to make their tax refund better.”

Bria Williams, a senior communication major from Diamond Bar, California, said the process was very quick and easy.

“Everyone has their own person to help you out, which made it really easy,” Williams said. “You bring the proper paperwork and they input everything for you. It took about 20 minutes and they even let you know if you are getting a refund or not right on the spot.”

Hugo Sanchez, a senior communication major from Las Vegas, said his experience with them has always been great and he loves how helpful and attentive they are.

“They’ve done my taxes since my freshman year, and have always been helpful,” Sanchez said. “Accounting majors are the ones filing everyone’s taxes as a part of their class, so its cool they have the opportunity through class to gain that experience. They also make sure students bring the T-1098 form so they can get money back from school expenses including books, scholarships and housing.”

Take advantage of DSU’s VITA program and get the money you’ve worked hard to earn. Many students use their tax return to pay for school, vacations or necessities. Regardless of what you choose to spend your money on, make sure not to procrastinate and get your money in your possession before it is too late.