Intramural sports keep students active and social

Photo courtesy of UMAC.

In a city full of resources to live an active lifestyle, Dixie State University’s intramural sports program is another option for students to get involved on campus due to its affordability, diversity and potential to unite its participants through common interests.

The fall 2019 intramural sports schedule includes coed flag football, coed outdoor soccer, men’s sand volleyball, women’s sand volleyball, coed sand volleyball, cornhole, men’s flag football, pickleball, singles pingpong, doubles pingpong, men’s basketball, women’s basketball, coed basketball, turkey bowl, foul shot contest, 3-point contest and bowl pick ‘em.

David Howell, assistant director of campus recreation, said one of the largest components of intramural sports that is overlooked is the social aspect.

“Intramural sports allow freshmen and new students to meet other students that they might not have an opportunity to meet elsewhere,” Howell said. “We have over three thousand participate every year, which allows our students to meet and interact with others in a fun and inviting atmosphere.”

Students with all abilities are welcomed to participate in the program. This is a great option for students who may not have made it to the collegiate level in the sport they grew up playing. Alternatively, students can test their athleticism and learn a sport they’ve never played before. Team prices vary from free to $40.

Blake Kilgore, a senior business administration major from Oxnard, California, participated in intramurals in addition to being a member of the DSU football team.

Kilgore said: “I feel intramurals are very beneficial as an athlete because it helps us get away from the same sport. We’re able to play other sports that help us relax and have some fun in a competitive atmosphere outside of our main sport. It also helps us interact with other students on campus.”

The incorporation of coed teams provides a unique opportunity in a world of traditional all-male or all-female sports teams.

Nathan Thill, a sophomore media studies major from Orem, said intramural sports are a fun way to get out and meet people.

“I love sports and competition, so it’s super fun to create friends and play sports I like,” Thill said.

Whether students are reminiscing on their high school or childhood sport, looking for a fun alternative to working out, wanting to give a new sport a try, or just simply hoping to meet new people, intramural sports are there to help.

A new schedule of sports will become available for the spring semester and will include softball, indoor volleyball, basketball and more.

For further information on registration deadlines and participation fees, visit recreation.dixie.edu/intramurals/.