Homecoming Week brings nostalgia, memories

Homecoming 2019 was filled with all the favorite trailblazer activities such as the Miss Dixie Pageant. Miss Dixie is one of the traditional events that was canceled due to COVID-19. Photo courtesy of Dixie Sun archives.

Get ready to make more memories with Homecoming Week.

Dixie State University students have still been experiencing a variety of school events this year, despite the pandemic, from Welcoming Week to Suicide Prevention Week. What would usually include a parade and D-Queen pageant, Homecoming Week is going to look a little different this year.

Student Life Coordinator Sarah Ramaker said, “Homecoming week at Dixie State has always been a time for students to create unforgettable memories.”

John Bowler, director of alumni relations, said the carnival is aiming to have a nostalgic feel to it.

“We hope everybody transports themselves back to a simpler time when they were kids and just enjoyed being together,” Bowler said.

Ramaker said while the traditional events are missing this year, it’s not what makes homecoming special.

“It’s a time to create moments that last a life time,” Ramaker said.

From crazy colors, balloon darts, and spooky movies to a classic carnival, students have several options to celebrate homecoming.

Students kicked off the interactive events on Monday by embracing their creative, artistic and colorful side with tye-dye, and de-stressed with classic balloon dart stations.

DSUSA is hosting an ongoing homecoming scavenger hunt throughout the week where students can compete for prizes.

Students can also check out vintage classic cars at the classic car show.

Students can get their scare on while watching the drive-in movie “Lights Out.” If students are looking for something more relaxed, they can take part in the hospital heroes service project to make capes, blankets and activity kits for Miss Dixie State’s social impact initiative.

“Getting out of the house and connecting with people improves mental health, and in turn have a positive effect on student studies,”

Student Life Coordinator Sarah Ramaker

If students are looking for a nostalgic atmosphere filled with classic carnival foods and games, they can check out the carnival. Students can enjoy the carnival by chowing down on food provided by local food trucks and winning prizes.

While students won’t be able to see the parade this year or the D-Queen pageant, there will still be sporting events.

If sporting events pique your interest then maybe these next homecoming events are just for you. The powder puff games will be kicking off the sporting events for Homecoming Week. Students have the opportunity to cheer on the women who will be playing in the games.

Following the powder puff game will be a tailgate where students can load their grills and bring their favorite game-day snacks. After the tailgate, students can join together for the new addition to the Greater Zion Stadium with the west grandstand groundbreaking ceremony.

There’s no homecoming week without football. Rounding out Homecoming Week students can go to the red and white football game where students can cheer on the football team in the stands as they play a red and white scrimmage.

Students have the opportunity to meet new people and add to their overall college experience as homecoming continues. Homecoming provides students with the opportunity to get fresh air and hang out with friends.

“Getting out of the house and connecting with people improves mental health, and in turn have a positive effect on student studies,” Ramaker said.

Lizzie Heinhold, a sophomore psychology major from Acworth, Georgia, said she’s grateful that Homecoming Week is still available because it allows her an escape to from the lonely feelings the pandemic has brought on.

“Even having just a little human interaction and feeling like you’re a part of the university is great for mental health,” Heinhold said.

Bowler said the spirit of DSU students is the ability to adapt to their ever changing environment, and this is expressed with the continuation of homecoming events.

“Homecoming is a celebration about individuals who embody this Dixie spirit,” Bowler said. “COVID-19 can never diminish them or us unless we let it.”

For more information on homecoming week visit the alumni website.