Quarantine guide: How to handle COVID-19

The Booth Wellness Center gives students who are stuck in quarantine a list of things they can do to help pass the time, including watching the Cincinnati Zoo livestream. Photo by Carli Gumm

COVID-19 has been affecting Dixie State University students and faculty for a multitude of semesters.

Now that we are in 2021, COVID-19 has been seemingly overlooked and disregarded by individuals coming on to campus. It seems that students don’t think COVID-19 is still spreading as vastly as it did in its beginning.

According to the Center for Disease Control, the Delta Variant of COVID-19 is more than two times as contagious as previous variants. Although DSU doesn’t require masks, it does recommend them because there is still a chance students can be exposed to COVID-19.

What to do if you get COVID-19

Students should contact the Booth Wellness Center and fill out the self-report form. Students who test positive for COVID-19 or unvaccinated students who have been exposed to COVID-19 are required to partake in a 10-day quarantine. As soon as the student is feeling better and has gone 24 hours without symptoms, then they can return to campus.  

What you can experience

Students can attend their classes virtually via Zoom.  Students should email their teachers with the provided letter from the Booth Wellness Center and then contact teachers in regards to how they want to proceed with Zoom.

Allie White, academic adviser for College of Humanities and Social Sciences, reassures students that they can stay on top of their schoolwork and succeeded while in quarantine. 

“I think that keeping that communication line open between the professor and the student is the best way to succeed when a student is under quarantine,” White said.

Katie Peatross, RN – BSN, talked about how students might feel a variety of COVID-19 symptoms including fever or chills, sore throat, fatigue, congestion and more.

Peatross said students should seek immediate medical attention if they feel chest pain or pressure, become short of breath, have a hard time feeling like they can’t catch their breath and have any immediate changes in behavior or stroke-like symptoms.

Peatross discussed the impact COVID-19 can have on college-age students.

“All the medical impacts are the same as others in the same age group. The difference noticed in college students is the missed college experience,” Peatross said. “People are more alone and isolated increasing mental health episodes. Missed events such as graduation, sports events, and dorm living, have been greatly impacted.”

Suggested activities to pass the time

Boredom is inevitable when it comes to quarantine. Luckily the Booth Wellness Center provides students with an intensive list of 162 unique activities to do while you are quarantining.

The most amusing activities on the list were: Listening to the sounds of nature, expressing your love to someone, make a smoothie and drink it slowly, picnic in your backyard or on the floor, and watch the Cincinnati Zoo live stream. Now, these aren’t the traditional activities you would do if you have COVID-19; normally someone would sleep and binge-watch movies or shows.

After all, we know quarantine is not fun or ideal, it is to keep everyone on campus safe. The CDC recommends you wear face masks to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Kaleb Leavitt, a junior business administration major from St. George, said he believes wearing a mask on campus is a personal choice.

“If you want to put it on and wear it and protect yourself or maybe you really care about others and really want to protect them that’s your choice,” Leavitt said. “I feel like we should all just treat everyone equally and be nice and respect their decision and support them in their decision.”

You can read more about DSU’s COVID-19 guidelines in a previous Dixie Sun News article. You can find COVID-19 support resources on the Booth Wellness Center’s website or call the office at (435) 652-7755.