Career guide: How to build perfect resume

Cameron Mitchell, a senior biology major from Hemet, California, is editing his own resume to ensure the best quality. Having a well prepared resume is a key factor in finding a job. Photo by Misha Mosiichuk.

A resume is about finding the best way to market yourself. The Dixie State University Career Center offers tips on how to build yours to perfection.

According to the Career Center’s website, your resume should be targeted toward the employer, so the first step is to research the company, then use keywords from the job description in your resume.

The Career Center website also places a big importance on using action verbs in your resume. A list organized by major of action verbs that are beneficial to your resume is available through their website.

Jonah Smith, a freshman communication studies major from St. George, said: “If you need help finding a job, then they can help with that, building a resume and cover letter, they’re there to help. They can also help you if you are stuck on what to major in or what career path to take.”

The Career Center website has example resumes which include a layout and important information that needs to be included. Whether they are used to find a part-time job or a specific career in a field of study, they are specifically tailored to best perform in that area.

Senioor Career Counselor Rochelle Blatter said, “There are many different types of resumes, like a senior resume is very different from any other resume.”

Knowing the different types of resumes and what needs to be included in each type is necessary to build a perfect resume. Not only does the career center website offer help, but so do the staff.

Career Coach Skyler Coombs said, “When it comes to employment, handshake, resumes, cover letters, mock interviews, email etiquette, there really isn’t a ‘dumb’ question.”

The Career Center and their staff will help you to turn your college experience into an impressive resume that helps set you apart from other candidates.

A frequently asked question from students is if their resume should have color or only be black and white.

“Black and white is preferred,” Coombs said. “It could change depending on the major, but normally nine times out of 10 it’s always going to be black and white.”

Not every accomplishment and training should be included on your resume; make sure to only include the big key points.

“Instead of a padded resume, you want a precise resume,” Coombs said. “Make sure that everything you have is applicable to the job you are applying for.”

Employers want to look at your resume and see your knowledge being directly inserted into the position they are hiring for. Coombs gave an example of a food handlers permit; if you were to apply to a lifeguarding position, do not ‘pad’ your resume with that information because it does not apply to the job.

Although there are many steps to creating a great resume, with the help of the Career Center, your resume will be precise and applicable so you can get your dream job.