2022 Grammy Award nominations

The 64th annual Grammy Awards will happen on April 3. Grayce Payne | Sun News Daily

It’s that time of year when your favorite musicians get dressed up to celebrate another year of chart-topping records.

After postponing the award ceremony due to COVID-19, the Grammy Awards will happen April 3 in Las Vegas. The Grammys were originally supposed to take place Jan. 31 in Los Angeles, but the surge of the omicron variant caused the event to be rescheduled.

The nomination process for this year’s Grammys got rid of the “controversial ‘secret committees’ that had curated the final lists in recent decades” and instead, opted for the popular vote to determine the nominees. The number of nominees allowed in each category has also been expanded to 10 nominees per category rather than eight nominees.

Album of the year

We Are” by Jon Batiste. The R&B/jazz album is heavily inspired by Batiste’s upbringing in New Orleans as evident in the song, “We Are,” which features the marching band from the high school Batiste attended. The album seeks to give listeners a sense of “catharsis and release” after the struggles people have endured over the past few years due to the pandemic.

Love For Sale” by Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga. The jazz album is comprised of covers of Cole Porter songs and serves as Bennett’s final musical release of his career after being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. One review of the album described it as “being infectiously good fun” that highlights the undeniable musical “chemistry” between Gaga and Bennett.

Planet Her” by Doja Cat. The pop album features artists Ariana Grande, Young Thug and SZA and according to one review of “Planet Her,” the album has “candy-sweet melodies.” Cat’s music video for the song, “Kiss Me More (feat. SZA)” is an intergalactic-inspired fantasy with over 310 million views on YouTube.

Happier Than Ever” by Billie Eilish. Eilish produced the pop album with her brother, Finneas O’Connell, and captures her experiences as “a very young woman on a worldwide stage.” Her song, “OverHeated,” chronicles the struggle of being thrust into the public eye and the frustration that comes with that.

evermore” by Taylor Swift. “evermore” serves as the sequel to Swift’s previous album, “Folklore,” and features HAIM, The National and Bon Iver. Despite “Album Of The Year” being Swift’s only Grammys nomination this year, the album managed to sell a million copies during the first week it was released.

A complete list of nominees for “Album Of The Year” can be found here.

Song of the year

drivers license” by Olivia Rodrigo. The pop ballad featured on Rodrigo’s debut album, “SOUR,” captures the angst of heartbreak. “drivers license,” which was influenced by “Taylor Swift’s vivid lyricism,” became the most streamed song on Spotify in 2021.

Bad Habits” by Ed Sheeran. The techno-infused song is featured on Sheeran’s fifth album, “Equals,” and served as an opportunity for Sheeran to write a dance song that could be played at “a Las Vegas club.”

MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name)” by Lil Nas X. The accompanying music video, which features Lil Nas giving “a lap dance to the devil,” garnered praise and backlash, with some people calling the video “sacrilegious.” Despite the controversy, the music video generated over 444 million views on YouTube and is one of the more popular songs on the “MONTERO” album.

Peaches” by Justin Bieber featuring Daniel Caesar and Giveon. The song is featured on Bieber’s latest album, “Justice,” and has become a fan favorite due to its “infectious melody and catchy chorus.”

Fight For You” by H.E.R. The song was composed for the film, “Judas and the Black Messiah,” which focuses on the life of Fred Hampton, who was chairman for a chapter of the Black Panther Party. H.E.R. said she wrote the song to capture the fight that everyone goes through in their life and she hopes the song will empower and uplift those who listen to it.

A complete list of nominees for “Song Of The Year” can be found here.

Tune into the 64th annual Grammy Awards April 3 at 8 p.m.